1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing interior lights to LED bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by glennonrp, Mar 6, 2016.

1. glennonrp

glennonrp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was inspired by the post about changing the map lights to LEDs, so I bought some and followed the post to do the same. Then, I disliked the dome light's incandescent "orange" glow and thought it would be so much nicer if it matched the new, clear, white brightness of the map lights.

So...

I used plastic tools I got on Amazon that are for removing dash and door panels. They were not expensive. Certainly cheaper than buying replacement light covers.[​IMG]

Here's the dome light. The dome light uses a different kind of bulb. Make sure you get that kind. (Helpful, right? Just google the dome light and it will tell you the type of bulb you need. I think it's even the same as previous generations.)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Notice that the lights have little plastic clips, like the map light covers. I wish I could say this better, but just work carefully, and slowly, so you don't crack the plastic. Using the plastic pry tools helps not to scratch or mar the parts, too.

Then the door lights. These are the small lights on the bottom of the front doors.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    When doing this, note that LED bulbs have a polarity. Incandescent lights don't. So it matters which way you install them. If they don't work one way, turn them 180 degrees. This means you have to check that the door lights are installed correctly before putting it all back together. The little parts are a bit fiddly to get apart. I found that I needed to apart the entire light housing to change the bulb. So I checked to see that it lit up before reinstalling the housing. These take T10 bulbs as did the cargo area light.

I didn't take pictures of changing the cargo area light but it was the easiest of all and very similar to the door lights. So if you manage those, you can do the cargo area light no problem.

Hope it helps. Sorry the pics from the door light are not very good.

NTCP8N, j12piprius, Howe and 5 others like this.