1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing people's minds on climate change

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Bluegrassman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The solution to pollution and solving the CO2 non-problem both is to use money from fake climate science and redirect it to developing a Thorium nuclear energy system to power the entire planet.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Fake or real Thorium is the only long term solution unless we want to keep it in our pants, reduce population and move to 1930's energy use levels.

Pay me now or pay me later.

Far better to use the old concept of being prudent avoiding behaviors that may be damaging even without proof than to go full ahead unaware of the consequences until after they occur

RobH likes this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mojo-------Slang term for morphine.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pain free.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IMHO, they are solvable or the GigaFactory has already failed. Build the machine to build the machines. That is what works.

Bob Wilson

6. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The thing blocking Thorium in the USA is purely political.
    Knowing that Tom Steyer controls the Dem party makes me wonder if his ilk thinks they wont make as many billions of beans if Thorium comes to fruition.
    (edit OMG Im starting to talk in a cadence like Tohichitu)

#66 mojo, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As much as I abhor Donald Trump ,I welcome the end of fake science from NASA NOAA GISS.
    I fear that when people realize how the world has been lied to by Democrats, our brand will be ruined for generations.
    Ill use the satellite data and that may also prove to be 2016 as the hottest year.
    But Im reassured knowing from both arctic and antarctic ice cores that today is one of the coolest periods in the past 10,000 years.

9. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Earth has been warmer than today for most of the past 10,000 years.Think about that.
    Is a rise in current temperatures going to lead to catastrophic runaway scenarios?
    Weve been though this for the past 10,000 years, but now Climate Scientists with $ multi million dollar grants think it the end of the world.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Ice-melting temperatures forecast for Arctic midwinter | Environment | The Guardian

[​IMG]

Scientists are forecasting ice-melting temperatures in the middle of winter for some parts of the Arctic for the second year in a row. And analysis shows such recent record temperatures there would have been virtually impossible without human greenhouse emissions.

Over the coming days, some parts of the Arctic are expected to get gusts of warm air that are more than 20C hotter than usual for this time of year, some of which will tip over the 0C melting temperature of water.

Maximum temperatures in parts of the Arctic will be warmer than the maximum over most of Canada for the next five days, according the global forecasting system run by the US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa).

That interesting blob of cold air over Greenland reminds me that it is high, like much of Antarctica. But that has not prevented Greenland from having 'warm spells.'

Bob Wilson

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even if we have been through this before, do we know the catastrophic effects on 7 billion people in modern societies?

RCO likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    the criminal acts of the Love Canal (and all such environmental acts resulting in large scale disasters) isn't the 10's of thousands of tons of chemicals dumped, it's the mindset of those who would say "you can't prove these genetic & chromosome defects of subsequent generations' children - and other health calamities beyond all possible doubt - ergo - no harm, no foul ..." ergo history repeats.

RCO and Bluegrassman like this.
  13. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Sun has entered a quiet period of zero sunspots.Its predicted to last for the next 30+ years.
    The last time the Sun was in this state was before 1850 known as the "Little Ice Age".
    A third of the European population died from famine and disease.
    Warm periods in Earths past are called Optimal.When society has prospered.
    Global warming "believers" are truly delusional.

#73 mojo, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Small challenges for readers here interested in history of PriusChat.

When was the first time mojo stated the 10,000 year thing? How many times since? Has he ever taken note of data-based refutations posted by me or anybody else?

Seriously, it matters not at all to me that he is stranded in his own version of Groundhog Day. But if readers see this as something gee-whiz new, undoing such a broad swath of science...well...

Perhaps I've overestimated y'all.

Greenland summit temperature averaged -29 oC over most recent 8 years of data (actually the only I've found on internet). The GISP2 core gave proxy evidence of 3 short peaks that were that warm. At 6000, 5000, and 1300 years ago.

This is not, of course "most of" and it is not of course "the world". But it is how things are.

+++
    Last time the sun was in its current state was during sunspot cycle #16. Sigh.

iplug likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just happen to be curious about contemporary polar weather (which is of course, not climate) and Greenland is a large source of non-sea ice.

On a side issue:
    I see the replies to @mojo and my sense is the regular folks have figured out his disconnect from empirical science. As for new folks or the silent readers, well you have to tradeoff time spent on @mojo versus a more productive use of time.

Bob Wilson

#75 bwilson4web, Dec 26, 2016
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you mean we haven't changed her mind yet?

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Final Christmas Of The Global Warming Fraud | The Deplorable Climate Science Blog
    "The Arctic is extremely cold, but there is a very narrow band of relatively mild air running along the Prime Meridian across the pole."

18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having trouble pinpointing which famine this was, on this Wikipedia list. Could you help me?
    List of famines - Wikipedia

Europe's Great Famine happened in 1315-1317. The Black Death was 1346-1353. Some folks date the LIA going back that far, but most have it starting later. The bulk of the cold was much later.

#79 fuzzy1, Dec 26, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Graph @78 gives some impression of where the must recent 8 year average T of -29 compares to the ice proxies. As we have said before, it does not come from the cited Alley paper and ends about 160 years ago.

+++
    But the topic here is changing peoples' minds. We have seen posted suggestions to talk about personal scale and local concerns. I have read that this can be effective.

Suggestions (by me) to read some of the science. This seems not to work well, but I am undeterred.

Suggestions by mojo that, whatever he says persistently is true. This may be effective, but dang if more folks take it up, our signal to noise ratio here will go way down.

bwilson4web and RCO like this.