1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

changing the console cover on the prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by schinia, May 3, 2012.

1. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    this is the new padded & upholstered cover. DSCN0659.jpg

Wolfchen and priusvgator like this.
  2. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    bear with me, this picture is of the lock side of the cover. you will see a thin seam along the bottom. this seam goes all the way around. use a very small screw driver and start at the lock side front corner. be careful and use a matchbook cover folded twice or something similar so the tiny locking clips are not hurt, and prevent the cover from re locking. start at the front corner and work your way to the rear corner. then repeat the same at the front, then repeat at the hinge side. then the rear, then take a slightly larger screw driver and insert it in the center of the cover in the front and go deeper manipulating it to unhook the clips. go easy so as not to damage the cover (or scratch it) where you can notice it. use popsicle sticks or anything that wont leave scratches. look carefully at the pictures, i have no way of marking the locking clips (8 very small ones, 4 along the locking side & 4 at the hinge side. located at the seam where you stick in the screwdriver. the others are bigger, 2 at the rear end, & 2 at the front end. then i believe are 4 on each side farther in from the hinge side and the locking side. i had a 1/2 inch of foam added that makes 3/4 inch. you might want to use a denser foam since it's a armrest. also i should have drilled 3 1/4 inch holes in the plastic base that the vinyl material and foam gets mounted on, because the vinyl doesn't let the air escape like the cloth does. all in all it is 100% better than it was.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

ixlr8a67 and tanasit like this.
  3. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i dont know what happened. or why it didn't put the pictures on the reply. if someone knows how to do this email me privately and i will send you the pictures.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    that is not the picture i meant. there are 4 more pictures i could not get on the thread.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How are you accessing the forum? Phone, tablet, computer? W

7. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    imac computer

8. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks great!

9. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i hope i made the instructions easy to understand. the upholsterer charged me $25.00 it took longer to take it apart than the 1 minute and 30 seconds to put it back together.

10. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0653.jpg

2 people like this.
  11. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    in the center picture, lid raised, you can see a faint seam by the unlock button. in the top picture, if you look closely you can see 4 square holes. little teeth hook into these, that are on the top piece your going to remove. notice where they're located, so you don't hurt them w/the screwdriver. and stay away from the buttons. the seam runs all the way around the top piece. they're not going to make a snapping noise. when you insert the tiny screwdriver. (maybe use two) put something in between the seam, so it won't relock. (like a piece of match book folded a couple of times) then do the lock side. after you get both lock side and hinge side unlocked (with shims) take a little bigger screwdriver and stick it in thru the front and the bigger hooks will snap loose. they're are 2 hooks in the front, 2 in the rear, and 3 on the lock side and 3 on the hinge side but they are located further in from the tiny teeth. about 1 1/4" if you look at the top picture closely you can see the locking holes for the teeth. the bottom picture, the plastic has the teeth. even the tiny teeth. the piece i'm not showing is the piece that the foam, and upholstery is glued and stapled to. after you get the cover removed, and turn it over, you can see how it comes apart theres 4 small screws that come out and then you can push against the teeth to release them. it might sound hard but it isn't. like i said before, you might want to use a denser foam, you might want to put in 3/4" of foam plus the 1/4 inch already there. also you might want to drill three 1/4 inch holes in the plastic so the air will dispel better. they didn't need it with the cloth.

12. slazerow

slazerow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It wasn't easy taking off the console top but I persevered and successfully removed it. I was charged $50 by the upholsterer, but it looks great and is much more comfortable than the original piece. Thanks again.

13. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    did you drill holes to release the air, did you add more than a 1/2 inch of foam? mine only charged $25 maybe yours used a denser foam.

14. slazerow

slazerow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It does seem like it has a lot of cushioning. I guess that he just had a higher minimum charge (or maybe he used actual leather). BTW, I didn't drill any holes, but hopefully it won't have a problem.

15. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a little confused, but it doesn't take much to confuse me at my age. My question is do you remove the cover by placing your small screwdriver between the cloth and the plastic, or are you saying you remove the cover by prying it off using the visible seam on the underside?

16. wtd03

wtd03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    where did you get the vinyl

17. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Be careful when you do this. My dealer added leather to my three version (kit from Toyota replaces all fabric surfaces) and managed to break one of the center console hooks that holds the cover. Goes back in after new years to get the console replaced.

18. 09Priusman

09Priusman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I still haven't removed the cover (been thinking about it since June), but would really like to if I could get clearer instructions so as not to break anything. Would like to hear from "schinia", if possible.

19. 57Geronimo

57Geronimo Black Beauty

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you have the work done at a shop or just by a different lid?

20. 57Geronimo

57Geronimo Black Beauty

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not sure why the link took me so far down in the thread, but it did. I scrolled up and saw where you added the pictures and instructions. Looks good