1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing the PSD fluid?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hdrygas, Apr 27, 2006.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Found that websites seem to have better prices than my local dealer who charges above list.

Toyotapartscheap.com (while slightly more than toyotapart.com) had both types of fluids and all gaskets and washers, as well as cheaper shipping.

1 L of type WS, $33.93 - Part: 08886-02305
    1L of type T-4, $22.54 - Part: 08886-81015
    4 plug washers (2 for each car), $0.94 each, $3.76 - Part: 90430-18008
    1 pan gasket for the '02, $7.06 - Part: 35168-47010

The pan gasket is so I can drop the pan per recommended here and ensure things don't look too nasty here. I'm particularly concerned due to the desert driving conditions and Bob's mention of high silica content in his oil. If there's visible "dirt", I'll have cause for concern. The only thing I didn't buy that I saw a part number for was the filter as it wasn't mentioned here as an easily replacable item.

Once I get the parts, I'll let everyone know how things go. I'll have to do it early in the morning here as mid-day on just gets TOO HOT to work.

Any suggestions on warming up the fluid to drain vs. draining "cold"?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 15 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]286924[/snapback]</div>
    Are the quantities correct?

For the NHW11, the procedure in Volume 2 of the maintenance manual calls for 4.6 liters of Type T-4. I suspect the NHW20 also requires more Type W. You also need to decide if you're going to replace the inverter coolant. It also has a replacement interval.

The "filter" in the NHW11 is really a screen on a take-up pipe. It doesn't need to be replaced unless you find 'stuff' in it and can't clean it. There is an "o" ring for the pipe. When you drop the pan and start cleaning wiping out the gunk, you may want to clean the pipe. But you really should have a new "o" ring if you take the pipe off. I will on my next change.

Otherwise, you're on the right track.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

wow I paid $11.00 for the gasket but only $5.42 per liter for genuine Toyota Type T-4 tranny fluid. Bought a whole case of it with one leaker which I returned and cost was $59.68 for 11 liters. Sound like your getting a bargian on the gasket. oh Canadian $$ so suck 15% off the price in USD. It better come over night air UPS

Rick the silicon is in the order of on average 230 parts per million. You won't see any visible dirt. That is probably the average now for 10 Prius and their all in the same range so I doubt that it's dirt contamination, it's like my UOA company said a non abrasive assembly compound or grease or gasket material. I think it's a non issue. If the fluid is really dark or smells burnt then consider a shorter change interval. So it sounds like Bell Road Toyota is a rip off?

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Larry Miller Toyota actually - yea :-(

The coolant on the '02 was done at 30k, and since I'm at 46k on it, I'm not too worried yet. W/ the '04 I'm going to follow the 100k interval on the coolant.

From what I've read on the '04, it didn't seem to take quite 4L. With the '02, you may be correct, but given the cost, I may be able to get the extra 1L locally if it's really that much more.

The gear oil pumps locally are $5.62 US. I'll grab that once the fluids arrive.

Shipping is ground, but shipping costs are "actual", with the estimate at 10% of the order.

5. Frank Hudon

on the Classic when you change the coolant the next time just use the SLLCoolant and go with an extended drain interval. Most UOA labs also test coolant as well for usability. The real secret is to not use any water in the cooling system other than distilled water if you want long life from it.

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 15 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]286924[/snapback]</div>
    Came upon a disappointing fact today - they cannot ship "chemicals" (probably hazmat thing). Time to keep searching - perhaps toyotapart.com can, but they only seemed to stock WS, not T-IV (Amsol time?).

I did question their practice of showing those parts in the online catalog (w/o notation) w/o the ability to ship.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 17 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]287628[/snapback]</div>
    My local Toyota service shop has a parts department and I get my standard parts and fluids from them (not the Amoil.) Is there not a local source?

BTW, I admire your work on that oil filter.

Bob Wilson

8. Frank Hudon

Rick in your wife's Classic I'd probably consider Amsol ATF as it is the only one that lists Type T-4 compatibility on the label. Also if push came to shove I really doubt that Toyota could say that the fluid wasn't T-4. If it's clean and the TBN is ok I really don't think it will contribute to the failure of the PSD. Lets put it another way, the WS fluid is fine in a 2k4-6 and the real guts of the PSD haven't changed and your flush with money, what the h**l fill with WS. What were trying to do with a fluid change is stave off the failure of the PSD. I'm using T-4 because I got a case of the stuff cheap.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Thanks to a timely contribution by Dr. Jeffrey Denenberg and his 04 Prius, 61,000 miles, we have added Type W, transaxle oil test results to the existing transaxle test results:

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html

There are several conclusions we can draw:

04 Prius transaxle oil viscosity wear rate - right on the numbers after 61,000 miles. At 40C, there was a 13% decrease and at 100C a 14% decrease. This is right under the 15% decrease that indicates the oil should be replaced.

04 Prius particulate counts at 61,000 miles - about half of the 03 Prius counts at 53,000 miles. Connecticut has less air-borne dust and heat than Texas but these are much better numbers.

There was evidence of dust/grit in the used 04 Prius transaxle oil. However, it is a "sealed" unit similar to the 03 Prius. Unfortunately we won't have the breather vent tube test results until later this year. Furthermore, the 04 Prius does not have a pan to drop to allow cleaning out the residual drit/grit/debre.

This 04 Prius transaxle oil look better than the 03, 02 and 01 results in viscosity and particulate counts. But the wear metals look higher and it appears to share the problem with dirt/grit. We asked the testing service to check the breakdown voltage (they also do transformer oil testing) but they need a larger sample.

PLANNED FOLLOW-UP:
    1) OEM 04 Prius transaxle oil change interval, 60k miles, is OK.
    2) Complete the dust/grit contamination experiment.
    3) Investigate dust/grit cleaning processes for NHW20 Prius.
    4) Monitor progress of transaxle oil filter experiments.
    5) Provide dielectric breakdown samples.

Bob Wilson

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Jul 17 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]287758[/snapback]</div>

Thanks ;-)

I was more reluctant to use them since other parts were so overpriced, but it turned out that my local dealer's parts dept ended up not being so bad, Found the type WS there for $42.83 for the 4L can, and a few bucks for both gaskets. $48ish total incl tax. I couldn't remember the part numbers for the '02 parts, so I waited on all of that. I think after shipping, it was cheaper, considering the cheap places couldn't ship it anyway due to lack of FedEx clearance.

The parts guy estimated the Type T-4 being $4.50/$5.00 per "bottle" (1L I guess). When I go back to pick up my wife's car from getting 40G done (yea, long time waiting), I'll see if I can't pick that up. I'll compare the Amsol prices though first.

Bob, how do I go about sending samples? Where can I get the containers, or do I just come up with my own (i.e. 100ml water bottle clean and dry)?

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Jul 20 2006, 05:11 PM) [snapback]289626[/snapback]</div>
    The oil testing services sell sample supplies but that makes sense only if you have a shop and a fleet of vehicles to monitor. Buying 'onesies-towsies' is very expensive. Fortunately, we have a 'Mike's Surplus' store, a warehouse full of odds and ends. I picked up a dozen urine sample bottles, polyethelyene, for $1.50. Your local drug store might have them too. But lacking something like that, a polycarbonate water bottle, small one, will work just fine. Just make sure the bottle is dry since one test is for water. When you ship the sample, make sure they know it is an 'oil sample' so they will use ground shipping, a question of safety.

Now that we've got a Type W virgin sample test, it makes sense to also test your NHW20 oil. I'm not convenced the particle test, an extra $22 from PdMA, is needed unless there is something suspicious about the sample. For example, it smells burnt or otherwise seems 'funny.' But you do need the viscosity at both 40C and 100C, the 'cold' and 'operating' temperatures to calculate the percent of viscosity loss, 15% being the limit.

NOTE: we didn't have a large enough sample for a dielectric break-down test. If you can capture ~200 ml. of the used oil and use PdMA, I'll handle the extra cost of the dielectric break-down test. Just send me a copy of your initial results so I'll have the sample ID and I'll arrange and pay for the extra test with PdMA and you will get a copy too.

Bob Wilson

12. Frank Hudon

I haven't forgotten this thread with my filter plans. Things have conspired against me but the bracket is done and the Banjo fitting done, and the filler plug mod is done and I soldered an Rochester Quadra Jet main jet and drilled it to .022 and have installed it in the tube on the Banjo. All that remains is to mfg. the hose fitting on the pump and install all of it on the car. Hopefully in the next week or so. I'll post pixs of the parts and the final install.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jul 31 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]295548[/snapback]</div>
    I look forward to the results.

Bob Wilson

14. Frank Hudon

finally got some spare time and put it in. Now that I've done it would I recommend doing this..... a resounding No..... The fitting where the fluid comes from the test port on the pump isn't a standard item. #4 JIC male to 5/16" UNF is the only thing that I could find so to make a long story short 4 trips to the hose/fitting dealer I finally got a 1/4" NPT male to 5/16" hose barb fitting and turned the JIC male to the ID of the hose fitting and silver soldered it together. Problem solved. The return banjo fitting I drilled and tapped a Toyota PSD filler plug to accept the banjo. In the end of the banjo I soldered an old Rochester QuadrJet primary jet and drill it to .022" Filter adapter bracket I drill and bolted to the front of the lower rad support and then plumbed the whole thing with Weatherhead push on hyd hose. This has a working pressure of 350 psi but despite the 1 1/2 PSI of the PSD pump I put hose clamps on the ends. Filled the filter with TypeT-4 and fired it up and got it hot then pulled the banjo of the fill plug and held it in my drain pan and had the wife fire up the car, nice steady dribble coming out of the fitting. That tells me the pressure is sufficient to push the anti-drain back valve off the seat. Tied all hoses to keep them from moving and chaffing against stuff replaced the lower splash pan and let it down. Probably spent 5 hours today and about 3 hours making the filter adapter. Cost effective? quick answer NO. Still fun to do and will keep an eye on it and in about 10,000 kms 6000 mile will pull the filter and change it as they only cost me about $5

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Impressive job! I especially like the last one that shows how to access the oil pump side of transaxle. I've been using drive up ramps, not quite up to the task.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 4 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]298109[/snapback]</div>
    I'm curious if you know what sort of pressure change the filter causes? I don't think the transaxle bearings are pressure lubricated but I'm curious.

Bob Wilson

16. Frank Hudon

judging by the amount that is coming out of the banjo fitting I'd say probably nothing. The amount that came out is in the order of 2 table spoons in 5 seconds maybe a bit less. I thought of putting pressure switches on both sides but from what I saw there, it'd just be a waste of time. The #4 JIC fitting that screws into the pump has a hole in it less than 1/8" so that is the primary restriction and the jet with the .022 orfice is the secondary restriction. The two things that the pump lube when the ICE is running is the bushing on the sun gear, that and small orifice that lubes the planets. Hence the 1.5 PSI lower limit. Most of the internals of the PSD are lubed by splash or dip.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I finally got the time and rest of the tools to do my PSD fluid on my '04. I've got just over 63k miles on the car. Also, when I did the exchange, the car hadn't been driven for about 24 hours, however it was pretty "warm" outside (100°F+), so the fluid would still flow rather easily.

First things first, I checked the slope of my garage w/ a simple float level, then approximated a place on the roof of the car that matched the slope measured on the floor. I then raised the car until the level was about level so that I could check the fluid on level ground per instructions.

I then removed the lower left skirt for easier access. While removing things, I noticed a missing bolt and a couple of missing plastic "plug clips". Guess past workers never put things back correctly... :angry: or mileage and a couple of unavoidable retreads took care of them. The one square "peg" clip opposite of the wheel well was the most challenging to remove, but squeezing in the right place w/ a pair of pliers is all it takes to get it out. Found a chunk of retread tire wedged in when I pulled the skirt out, should have expected that given the missing clips in the area.. .

In order to gauge how much was in there in the first place, the first plug I pulled was the top drain plug. As I was removing the plug, I could hear a hissing sound of air escaping. Air was definitely coming out. This would verify that the '04+ PSD is either sealed or one-way vented (probably the former). Should be noted that it was 100-105°F and I'm at 1200ft elevation.

What then dribbled out was a boysenberry syrup colored, semi opaque fluid.

[attachmentid=4382]

I then opened up the new can of fluid and compared the colors. Definitely a difference. I dabbed a bit of each on a white sheet of paper for reference. See photo:

[attachmentid=4383]

I then proceeded to remove the drain plug to pull the fluid. The bottom plug was a bit tight. Once it broke free, things started flowing. Definately dark in color, and unfortunately got some on the hands (too hot to wear gloves). It does irritate slightly, so gloves would be a good idea next time. I was able to "catch" about 400+ ml of fluid into an old, dry drinking water bottle. Not 100% sure the bottle was free of the trace elements found in "bottled water", but it was dry. I had a hard time getting the fluid to make it in, so some did spill down the side. At any rate, it's as clean as it's going to get.

[attachmentid=4386][attachmentid=4387]

I then grabbed the plug from my drain container. The plug does have a magnet in it, and it definitely did it's job. There was a layer of "ferrous sludge" stuck to the magnet, as well as a few visible pieces of metal (maybe 1-2mm tops, flat). It was a challenge to get all of it out, but a few paper towels later, it was as clean as it was going to get.

[attachmentid=4384]

I decided to drop the car in order to get all of the fluid out, then raised it again to replace the plug (used a new washer). Only replaced it snug for now as I'd tighten later.

I then leveled the car as best as I could while being raised, and pumped about 3.8L (or until it slightly oozed out like before) of fluid back in. It was tight quarters and was a challenge to figure out how to get everything in. Unfortunately the pump hose wasn't long enough to let me keep the pump and can out from under the car, and the can is not threaded, which means the pump was just setting in there. Additionally, the pick-up tube was too long, which meant the pump wanted to lift out a few inches from the can. I could have cut it, but chose to live w/ it. Toward the end, I lifted the pump out from the can so it wouldn't be possible to take all 4L from the can, thus overfilling.

[attachmentid=4385]
    Note the color of the new fluid coming in.

Using a new washer, I then replaced the fill plug and torqued the upper to ~30 ft/lbf. Had to guestimate on the bottom based on the top as I was lacking a 1/2 to 3/8" drive converter for the 10mm hex drive to use w/ the torque wrench.

In the end, replaced the skirt, broke another plug clip (grr - heat + plastic + age doesn't bode well - hopefully they're cheap to replace). Cleaned up, then took it for a test drive.

Took me a couple hours total, but that's because I spent some time on the skirts, and had to run out to get a 24mm socket (thought I had one, guess I didn't and SAE sizes just don't cut it). Ended up picking up a cheap deflection torque wrench as so I wouldn't have to guess when replacing the plugs. It'll come in handy later on too.

Only an oil analysis will truly tell if the fluid needed changing, however given the color of it, I'd say it was a good idea. The smell was somewhat pungent, but not too far off from the new stuff. I wouldn't describe it as paraffin smelling, but it definitely didn't smell identical to the new.

I'll check it again at 90k miles to note the color.

Next will be my wife's '02 when I get the time and parts.

Question - if I send this in to get analyzed, do they need a "virgin" sample to compare against, or do we know the specs of Type WS?

18. Frank Hudon

yuk that stuff is so far past good that your lucky the stuff on the magnet is all you got . That stuff is toast. We'll be waiting for the results of the UOA and no they won't have the virgin sample results. It'll cost you for two test to have a comparison. The sample that I sent in looked like the new stuff that you pumped in. The air sound that you heard was a vacuum that gets created in the case because of the design of the vent, which is a one way valve that expels the air in the case as it heats up and puts the case under a partial vacuum. This helps keep the seals in contact with the shafts on the axles and input shaft from the ICE to the planet carrier. A lot of the auto parts stores carry an assortment of clips and hold downs and trim screws etc. and probably cheaper than your dealer, if you know what your looking for. Thanks for the post.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 4 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]298109[/snapback]</div>
    Frank

Well, it would still be nice for you to spend some time at my hobby farm and do the same thing to my '04. If we see any funnel clouds we could always cower in the basement and whimper ...

jay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr @ Aug 6 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]298871[/snapback]</div>
    Rick

Geez, when I did my '04 it was nowhere near as bad as the fluid you got out. Mind you I did mine around 12,000km, and I was concerned enough even then. If Toyota is calling this a "lifetime" fluid for American Prius owners, I'd wonder what happens by the time you hit 120,000 miles??

I also had the hissing sound. Probably the case vent allows air out but not much air in.

I used one of those plastic orange transfer pumps, I think they were originally made by Mityvac. Got it at a surplus place called Princess Auto for $8. Works slick and quick.

If you have some acreage, like I do at my hobby farm, you can make a vehicle ramp out of old railway ties. It's very strong, with a gentle enough ramp even the Prius doesn't scrape. Sure beats jacking things up or trying to squirm under and get squashed.

jay

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Aug 7 2006, 06:06 PM) [snapback]299356[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately no acrerage here - I live in suburbia, so the garage is as good as it gets. Drive-on ramps are on my list though for future under-body work.

The pump I used was a $5.95 job from Checker auto parts (aka Schuck? or Kragen) meant for gear oil gallon jugs.

I'm beginning to wonder if the very slight milkiness in the fluid means there's some water, or worse, coolant in the mix. Only a UOA would confirm that though. Problem is right now convincing my wife that it's necessary rather than frivilous. Her (uninformed IMHO) opinion is "yea, it's bad, and you changed it out, so what?".

I'm not 100% convinced the hissing sound was inbound, as I thought I could see air/fluid bubbling or spurting out around the plug as I loosened it, as well as the fact that the plug seemed pushed out by the pressure, rather than being "sucked in". This would make sense if some of the fluid was burning, or gassing and there was no way out. Only the Toyota gods knows for sure ;-)