1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Trans axle fluid this weekend.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Prius Mitch, Oct 29, 2013.

1. amitt

amitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok thanks, 4.6 is probably close enough.

prius with 153,000 mils, ATF IV was replaced by the dealer at 60,000, and at 120,000, by the book.
    Now it was done with dropping the pan due to the forum experts recommendations, and ATF IV by toyota.
    There was nothing to clean on the input screen, the ATF was still red after 33,000 miles.
    Yes, there was crud at the bottom and on magnet, but probably would not effect the transmission if the ATF is changed every 60,000.
    Maybe it's worth dropping the pan every 100,000 but not every 30,000 miles.
    Pictures for you analysis :

Thanks!( I did not open this thread... )

PS, how come the part above the input screen is not red from ATF?, it has some yellow writing on it and you can see it on one of the pictures, I don't understand how can it not be soaked in ATF, since this area is located under the filling screw level.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is close enough. The manual shows the level at the bottom of the fill hole or a couple of mm low. If you stick a finger in and feel the pool, it is perfect.

I see the photos . . . comments in a few minutes.

Bob Wilson

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the screen has debris, it would mean some serious wear . . . gear and bearing threatening. Be happy!

Oil analysis of the crud shows it is mostly sealant that had been ground up by the differential and chunks that didn't make it that far. It also includes the non-ferrous material. None of it is 'kind' to the transaxle.

As for dropping the pan and cleaning, it is your car and your choice on how often. Since I get the oil and gasket from the same Toyota service center, it seems a small price. Having done it more than a few times, I find it 'no big deal' for a lot of peace of mind.

As for the pool in on the foam plate, virgin Type T-IV is clear in a reused, clear water bottle. The stuff in that plate is opaque for a fraction of the depth.

The ATF is not dyed so it won't stain. There would be a thin layer which could be wiped down. The lettering is new to me, the first time I've seen it.

You did good!
    Bob Wilson

4. amitt

amitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for looking at it Bob!
    I understand what you mean about dropping the pan, I don't really mind about the extra $16 that the gasket cost. I am disabled so either way is impossible for me, but dropping the pan seems 100 times more difficult than only changing the ATF, as I see it.
    I also think that it can lead to leaks if it's not done correctly, and this can put the transaxel in a real threat.

I am happy that you said that the foam plate picture can show that the AFT is not clear, I wasn't sure if those images can give good indication, anyway this car was serviced by toyota dealers according to the 60K miles recommendation, so I guess that driving 30K more with this dirty ATF would not do any good. I encourage people to replace it every 30K as people recommended on this great forum.

I wonder if you or anyone can upload pictures of the pan and magnet after 30K miles of driving the car, BUT only if the pan and magnet cleaning was done prior to driving those 30K , if it looks the same as mine, then I guess that dropping the pan might be necessary every 30K because the magnet can only contain a certain amount of crud, but if it only has a little crud on the magnet, it might be fine to drop it every 60K or 90K.
    But it is just my opinion, if you are healthy and strong, and sure you can do it with no leaks, and wont be affected by $16 of the gasket, drop it !

Thanks!
    BTW I read you site about the prius and it is impressive, I absolutely LOVE the gen 1, I have a terrible back problem and sciatic pain, and the soft suspension and comfy seat can make it a little more tolerable to sit in the car.

5. Prius Mitch

Prius Mitch New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did the transaxle fluid change today. I discovered a tiny amount particles on the magnet, and the pan. The old fluid didn't smell burnt or look dark. I got 5 quarts of ATF T IV at the dealer for $7 a quart. I went to Lowe's, and had them cut me 3 feet of 5/8th flexible clear tubing which I shoved into the fill hole. I attached it to a funnel, and it ended up being a one-person job. I was getting close to the end of the 5th quart when I pulled the tubing out, and a little bit started to drip out. I was satisfied I had added the correct amount. The car runs noticeably better, with less vibration in the drive train. It's an all-around smoother ride. I want to thank everyone in the forum who helped me out!

6. amitt

amitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I wanted to ask another thing, why is it important to change the fill hole crush washer?
    I ask because it seems like the ATF can probably never get out of there because it's the upper point of the ATF pool.
    Does the transmission have to be sealed to air?

Also, when the dealer checks the ATF level, do they change the washer after the inspection even though they only opened the fill plug?

Thanks

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota repair manual suggests that the drain and fill washers need to be replaced each time the drain and fill plugs are removed. If you wish to reuse the washer, that is your business. I think they can be reused at least once, but you can see a used washer has an indentation from being compressed.

The dealer tech is supposed to replace the washer since that is prescribed in the repair manual. However if you are not charged for a new washer it is doubtful that the washer was replaced (and for that matter, it might be questionable whether the fill plug was even opened.)

bwilson4web likes this.