1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Transaxle oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Weinerneck, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jbusta

jbusta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm trying to figure out the correct funnel and tubing parts.

Can anyone give me the specific measurements I should be looking for to make sure the funnel end opening can connect to the proper tubing? And what size/width of tubing to get?

Anyone with direct links to specific funnels and specific tubing/extensions?

Thanks in advance

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Outside Diameter of my tubing is roughly 14 mm, I don't think you'd want to go much bigger than that.

Second gen fill and drain bolts are a bit different, but I believe it's a case that one is the same as 3rd gen (my car), and the other is bigger? So if you pick up something like 1/2" tubing (likely an Inside Diameter) at a hardware store, you should be good.

Three foot tubing length should be enough, so I would suggest to buy foor feet, and trim as needed when you've got your setup in place.

Funnel? Well pretty much anything would work, the main prerequisite that it will push in and stay attached to the tubing. You can probably pick up something in the same hardware store, with your tubing in hand.

I went with a funnel that was well suited for tubing extension. When I bought it only came with the larger, green bellows style extension, not the pictured tubing (which, at two feet, is likely too short anyway). But something like that would be excellent, because you can "screw" the tubing onto the narrow tip.

upload_2017-5-17_13-28-47.png

Link, but bear in mind this is a Canadian company:

Plastic Funnel with Handle | Princess Auto

jbusta likes this.
  3. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have the part # on those washers?

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're near a dealership parts department they'll sort it out for you. Or if you insist on mail order, you could look up your vehicle here:

Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota parts | Toyota Parts Online

I've got my invoice from gen 3 washers, but gen 2 is different, and two different sizes as well. One of them might actually be the same. But again: dealership parts department?

maximusdec likes this.
  5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The best funnel I've found for the job is THIS.

Perfect fit, and comes with a lid for the top, and a cap for the tube. When you're done, put the lid and cap on, hang it on the wall, and it's clean and ready to go the next time you need it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bottom fill trannys are actually great if you have a air compressor. Get piece of quarter inch clear tube. Drill a hole for it in cap of tranny fluid bottle and put it in it should be a nice tight fit. Poke an 1/8 inch hole in top corner of bottle. Get your blower atrachment on your air hose and put tip on the hole and blow gently and keep bottle pressurized and the fluid will flow into transmission. Super easy and not too messy.

Dont blow up thw bottle. That would be hard to do.

7. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's so much less work to do with just a funnel and plastic tubing like the one that tvpierce just linked to. Ever heard of the kiss principle, sailor?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Biopete

Biopete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep. I was just thrilled when i learned that air trick so thought i would share another way. All depends on what you have in the shop as to which is simpler i guess. For me i have a compressor and i have my cap with rubber hose in it just waiting for the next fill. It took no time to drill hole in cap and cost about 3.00 for 3 ft of hose maybe. So i just poke a hole in the new bottle with an awl and screw my hose cap on and fill. No extra funnel to go buy and keep clean. To each their own.

Also have you ever tried to stand under a car and fill a transmission with a funnel?

9. TerryM

TerryM Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    They are the same for both drain and fill plugs as well as the drain for the inverter coolant. Toyota part # 90430-18008. I purchased 10 pack here.

maximusdec likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Its a side fill bolt hole. You just thread a funnel with a hose attached to it down through the top of the engine into the hole. Throw 4 quarts in it and your good to go. Done it 3 times already.

11. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was quoted between $270-300 for Trans. oil change at local Toy dealers on my 06 Prius. I am going DIY route.

SFO likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At those prices, it would be worthwhile to drive to Grenada, MS and have my dealer do it for $110.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That says to me that they have no clue what the Prius transaxle is like, and they're best avoided.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or just don't want to be bothered. (n)

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am bothered now and will be changing it... Ordered a funnel now deciding to buy Transaxle Fluid at local stealership or Fleebay... :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I like the idea but its bit of a drive. I wonder if they will replace my ABC Actuator under extended warranty as well but it could be week+ affair if they do it.

17. phillg

phillg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

18. phillg

phillg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, I see fluid type WS and fluid type T-IV are mentioned here. My manual says the fluid should be type T-IV. Where does the type WS come from? Are different fluids specified in different markets? I am in Australia.
    Thanks.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    US Gen 1 Prius (2001 - 2003) used type T-IV, while all subsequent Prius have used WS.

You want what is in your manual, ignore the WS comments they are for newer Prius.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've doctored up the above quote, thinking it's in fact from you. Please let me know if that's not the case.

Opinions on when to do a first change of the transaxle fluid vary, depending on who you talk to. I'd wager the part dept clerk has little or no personal experience, changing the fluid at different intervals.

By 100K miles the drained fluid will look very dark. And perhaps slightly darker than it looks at 10K miles...

I would not hang around; if it's on your mind, change it now.