1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge cable brick protection

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Katwhitney, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Katwhitney

Katwhitney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am Interested if anyone has a good solution to protect the brick part of the charge cable from outdoor weather? My partner made a wooden box to protect the end of the charger plug and brick to use at home. It also houses my heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord. It works great. See photo. However, I need a more portable, more simple solution to charge at work. Mostly concerned about the brick more than the plug which is slightly under cover. I heard that the brick needs to be kept dry. Perhaps a plastic bucket? Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

#1 Katwhitney, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. Katwhitney

Katwhitney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am looking for hopefully an inexpensive solution.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm thinking a plastic bottle - bleach bottle or something - with the bottom cut out. Thread the plug through the top, seal up the top, let it hang down over the brick. power wheelchair people will just tape a plastic bag over their joystick, use it through the bag. There are sprays to make things water repellent, maybe that sprayed on the brick?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    incorrect info, the brick is waterproof and designed to be used outdoors in all weather conditions

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you must, use one of SOCKiTBOX | Weatherproof powercord connection box large enough to house the brick. I think the Large with dimension 330MM (W) 230MM (H) 140MM (D) works for this purpose. Only problem is that the electric plug cord is kinda short, that you may have to hang the box or rise a bit higher to the outlet to making sure the weight is not stressing the plug.

That said, @bisco is half correct that the brick can be used outdoor. However, it is not "waterproof". It is only "weatherproof". The manual warns against using it in a condition where it can be submerged in the water or the outlet (and presumably brick as well) can get covered completely by accumulating snow.

6. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Technically, it's "weatherproof" / "water-resistant" and, as Bisco points out, is designed to be OK in the rain, snow, wet ground, etc. It probably should not be submerged but probably would be OK sitting in a puddle.

Like the Prime itself, it should not be operated at depths of greater than about 0.25 meters. ;)

under water.jpg