1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge mode while speeding/maybe worth it?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Markelli, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Markelli

Markelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you for reminding me, this is actually great news as I have less than 150k miles however once I hit 150k miles I will probably have sold the car. So even if it does damage it it’s covered :)

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If frequent CHG mode does damage the traction battery then just hope it will destroy the traction battery which may not likely be the case. Just reduced EV range and capacity due to degradation will not be covered under the battery warranty, as stated clearly in your warranty booklet. Also, since your PP is pre-2020 and since you are not in CARB state, the traction battery warranty is 8 years/100Kmiles, instead of 10yrs/150kmiles.

upload_2022-6-14_15-28-49.png

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why do they have CHAdeMO in other markets?

Any type of fast charging causes more wear and tear on a battery. Toyota has taken steps to mitigate it. The CHAdeMO rate greatly drops when the charge level hits 80%, and charge mode only takes the battery to that charge. The system will also slow down, or stop, the charging if the battery is too hot.

You may not see any signs of degradation in the time you own the car, or you maybe you will. The potential damage isn't something that happens quickly. Just living in a hot state could cause degradation without using charge mode. There is lots of variables involved.

What is known is that most of the plug ins that do have higher than average capacity loss were ones seeing a lot of fast charging, which is what charge mode is.

Markelli and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Markelli

Markelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks guys, I searched far and wide and at least in this forum no one has had a documented/legitimate degradation other then guessometer changing due to the way they drive. For example during 2020 I never visited a gas station and drove just around town for months on end, I got 26 mile range. Now I’m hybrid back in the office on certain weeks and the speeding doesn’t help so I’m lucky if the guessometer says 24.6 range when fully charged. The guessometer would concern me if it dropped to like 18 after a charge and I have been driving like a granny that week.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Relying on GOM to document the traction battery degradation is probably the least reliable way. Here is my data set of GOM indicated EV range after the traction battery was fully charged. The data was from my 2017 PP when it was 2-3 years old. Yeah, if GOM is a good indication of battery capacity or true EV range, then my 2017 PP traction battery was getting better and improved as it aged.

upload_2022-6-14_17-4-31.png

Instead, a much better matrix to check for the traction battery capacity (or degradation) is the number of kWh used to charge the traction battery from 0% to a full 100%. As you can see, my 2017 PP lost 4-5% capacity (from ~6.7kwh to ~6.4kwh) in ~25 mo.

upload_2022-6-14_17-10-38.png

Similarly, you can also document the degradation of the traction battery by recording the real EV range (not GOM) from 100% charge over time. However, since in my climate, there is a very strong seasonal variation in the EV range, it has to be compared over more than 1 year for the same month to be a valid comparison. Unfortunately, I did not keep such data for my 2017 PP which I kept for 3 years. The data for my current 1-year-old 2021 PP looks like this. Not much degradation for the first year other than the normal seasonal changes.

upload_2022-6-14_17-16-15.png

#25 Salamander_King, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Markelli likes this.