1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge Now: Mode?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by mr88cet, Feb 11, 2017.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm debating, from all of the YouTube videos (my P.Prime hasn't arrived yet), whether "Charge Now" is a "mode" or not.

I see that you select it on the MFD as an on/off switch, and if it's off and you plug in, (not surprisingly) it won't start charging until you hit a scheduled charging event.

Conversely, if you select Charge Now, does it ignore the charging schedule and charge any time it's plugged it in?

I'd like to have two charging events -- one overnight at home to go to work on, and one at work to go home on. I would include climate prep with those scheduled events. However, I'd also like to be able to charge on demand where appropriate, ideally without having to switch between two "modes": Charge Now vs. scheduled charge.

Is Charge Now a "mode" in that sense of the word: either Charge by schedule or charge whenever you plug in?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So it sounds like the charging screen automatically pops up when you turn off the P.Prime, giving you an opportunity to change it (or not)? If so, that's very good. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, I'm not sure whether that answers my question. Most importantly, if you set Charge Now to yes, then does it ignore all charging and climate-prep events until you switch Charge Now back to No?

That is, is the P.Prime always in either of two modes: Charge according to the charging schedule ("Charge Now = No" mode), or ignore the charging/climate-prep events and charge whenever you plug it in ("Charge Now = yes" mode)?

For my usage, I'm thinking it would be best if "Charge Now" were a one-time thing: As soon as you unplug from an on-demand charge, it would automatically switch back to obeying the schedule. That, or it would have an option to charge whenever I plug it in and still do the climate preps I specify on-schedule.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it's a one time thing based on the manual.

mr88cet likes this.
  5. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is an on-demand overide of scheduler. You can access it not only when you turn off your car but also anytime you open a door so long as car is plugged in. Yes. it is a one time thing. Next time you turn on your car, it is back to the default which is the scheduler.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Andyprius1 and mr88cet like this.
  6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, good deal! Thanks, guys.

7. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you could fiddle with the Charge Now setting in the MID every time you want to immediately charge, but it seems like it would be easier to just plug in, pull out, then plug in again as mentioned on page 139

Charge now.png

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True, but it's only two button presses to save a cycle on the connector.

9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure it's easy if you're thinking about it when you shut off your engine and before you get out of the car, which could be the case a lot of the time. But I would think there are often times when you later decide (or remember) that you need to charge. Faster to plug and unplug than having to go around to the drivers side, open the door and click it over to Charge Now.

As for the charging cable, I would think the counter only increments when charging actually takes place, not every time you plug in the cable. What if you have it scheduled for 7:00am, you plug in the cable, then later you're doing something in the garage and have to unplug the cable, then plug it back in when you're done. Is it going to charge you a cycle for that? I doubt it, as I would expect it is only counting actual charge cycles.

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm talking about the mechanical wear-and-tear on the components.

11. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't imagine they are that fragile, assuming you don't use a lot of force when plugging in. I realize your electrical experience is informing your opinion but I am just assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the connectors are robust, and designed for a lot of use. After all it is Toyota that said you can use this method to start charging. Unless we want to be cynical and assume they are trying to increase their sales of replacement cables. I would think the receptacles are built sturdily also.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Connectors range from a rating of about 5 lifetime cycles to millions, depending on design. This one is rated for 10,000 cycles.

13. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was the electrical part of the charge cable that has a cycle limit, which if I remember reading that after it reaches the count it shuts off and you have to buy a new one. But maybe you are right the limit could also be due to expected mechanical wear after that amount of use. 10,000 cycles represents tens of thousands of hours of charging, often outdoors in sun, rain and freezing weather, combined with the fact that the cable will be man-handled quite a bit during those 10,000 cycles, and yes connected and reconnected.

But again if plugging and unplugging risks premature failure of the cable or receptacle, we need to hold Toyota to task for building this method into the system, which I'm sure they know people will use it because it is so much easier than running around to the other side of the car and pressing buttons. Of course this is a moot point for meticulous drivers who always have their schedules planned and always remember to switch to Charge Now before exiting the car.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

"The connector is designed to withstand 10,000 mating cycles (a connection and a disconnection) and exposure to the elements."

Since2002 likes this.
  15. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay well I guess I am just going to wear the dang thing out and constantly have to buy replacements ;)

But seriously this is good information, thinking about how to decrease wear on any part of the vehicle is always good.

But regardless what the stats say I'm sure I will be plugging and unplugging to start charging any time that is the most convenient, even if that means a risk of replacing some components later in the vehicle's life.

#15 Since2002, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree that I wouldn't run around if I forget, but I'd try not to forget 99% of the time.

17. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least in the case of the Advanced model, the app might be the simplest way, in the event that you forget to turn on Charge Now.

Since2002 likes this.
  18. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Considering how unstable the app is, at least for iOS, I would not expect it to work all the time. Easier to make sure your vehicle will be charge while you are there with the cable and the car.

mr88cet likes this.
  19. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah, flakey app, eh? Hadn't heard... "Unstable" in what senses?

20. Optimus PRIME

Optimus PRIME Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For my iPhone 6s with iOS 10, the EnTune app sometimes would not open or gets stuck in loading. I setup another iPhone6 with iOS 10 but much cleaner since it has a subset of what I have on my main phone and it tends to open fine without issues.

The EnTune app sometimes would not communicate with the car when you are sending a command, like Remote AC or Charge Now, it just times out.

mr88cet likes this.