1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"charge now"

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by fed123, Jul 19, 2021.

1. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't ever use the charging schedule. Life is too unpredictable. So I just get home and plug it in. Normally there is no issue but on occasion it doesn't charge right away and a screen pops up asking "charge now" but before I can figure out which button to hit the screen is gone. Ultimately, after maybe a minute it begins charging.

Any idea why this is happening on occasion and how to stop it? The manual is not much help to me on this.

Thanks!

SM-P610 ?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That pop-up is likely the permission question about cooling while the charge takes place.

You can specify "Charge Now" any time, even if the car is off. That is what shows after plugging in and doesn't go away. Charging will immediately start when you select it too.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the response John. This is different from the cool the battery pop up which also goes away before I can respond to it.

SM-P610 ?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The permission for cooling pops up on the MID.

The "Charge now" question comes up on the big LCD, at least the 11.6" screen on my Premium. I can't tell which screen you have because your vehicle info still says 2010 Prius, Model II. You can fix that in your user profile to clear up confusion. But anyway, I think that's the same place in the lower trim for the "Charge Now."

Permission for cooling comes on if the battery is warm when you stop. If you don't respond with a "Yes," the car will wait till the battery cools before it starts charging. It MIGHT be that that same situation is triggering the "Charge now" question. I'm not sure since I use a schedule and get that question every time I shut off the car.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This screen has a "now" option on it too. You see it when pushing the dashboard button to the left of the steering-wheel after the car of powered off.
    20210719_130329.jpg

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry about the car confusion. We have a 2021 Prius Prime. I will fix that when I go back on the website. This is the screen that I was referring to. Is that dashboard button the one with the little clock icon?

SM-P610 ?

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Here's a larger view of what John posted.
    Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 1.38.47 PM.png

8. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks again! So when that charge now pop up happens again I will push the dashboard button and then say "yes" by using the functions on the steering wheel.

The few times I have gotten the cool battery pop up have been on hot days when the car has been parked in the sun. I would be surprised to get that notice in regard to charging because I always charge at night in temperatures that are never higher than the 70s.

SM-P610 ?