1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charge pumping on the Mohawk trail with the prius prime

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by I'mJp, Feb 24, 2017.

1. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I was curious about EV charge level, EV mode and HV mode and how they interact.

In western mass, we have the Mohawk trail, a highway with a mountain, many hills and long down slopes.

I left with a full charge, for the trail and an expected temperature of 64 F. I was using the estimated EV range to indicate charge, since it has a numeric indication in the HUD, and seamed reasonably predictive in my limited experience.

In order to capture regenerative breaking, you must have available capacity in the battery. My method of regenerative charging is using the cruise control. I typically set mine to speed limit + 5, something that seems generally tolerably by the local traffic (There were some notable exceptions). At full charge my estimated EV mileage is 30.1. So I drove towards the trail in EV mode until the EV estimated range dropped to 15.0, about half and then turned on HV.

When I started to hit the hills, and spent the next hour or so, to my amazement, the estimated EV range did not deviate that much. It went down to 13.4 on some climbs, and up to 18.0 on some descents. That means that in the end of my HV trip, the EV range sorta stays put. I've noticed this on my daily use as well.

I was getting close to the NY border, so I stopped and had lunch, took a walk and then headed back, EV range at 18.6.
    What, more EV range than when I set it to 15 (by driving EV) ?

So, I'm wondering (unfortunately after the trip), if you are coming down a good regen hill in HV, slip it into EV, and then quickly back to HV, if the new HV charge level will be preserved at the higher level. So that on each down slope. you can increase your EV range more and more ?

Wouldn't this be called charge pumping ?

2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Speaking in broad generalizations, HV mode tries to maintain the battery charge.

iPhone ? Pro

3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As for calling this "charge pumping," two thoughts:

First, "charge pump" is a term for a certain general type of DC-to-DC converter circuit -- essentially the DC equivalent of a transformer for AC.

Second, on my Gen-2 Prius, I refer to nonchalantly (not!) driving in very-cumbersome ways trying desperately to prevent computer from turning on the engine, "battery surfing"! Perhaps this is an ever better application for that term?

iPhone ? Pro

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't have hills here but I use this same method (switching from HV to EV when applying regen braking from high speeds and then back to HV) on highway drives in my Energi. I call it EV banking.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First off, kudos for being curious and performing the experiment:
    The initial drive to the New York border shows what we call in the BMW i3-REx world, "charge sustainment mode." Once put in HV mode, the car tries to keep the battery SOC at a constant level. But in an area of tall hills, there can be a substantial change in battery charge that averages out.

You noticed an increase in battery charge on the return. I would recommend using Google Earth to measure the starting and ending altitude of your drive. In my case, I used "Brindley Mountain" (34.518141, -86.593270) a 525 ft (160m), 8% grade, 1.5 mi section of US 231. Climbing at 55 mph, I burned ~0.08 gal. and on the descent, added 6% to the traction battery. But you've suggested an interesting experiment:
    • Climb at 55 mph on 0% battery
    • Descend at 55 mph to gain 6%
    • Park car and READY cycle
    • Repeat
    If the 6i% is maintained climbing the hill, the descent will add another 6% to bring it up to ~12%. Of course it might be easier just to use the 'charge mode.'

Bob Wilson

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My PiP does the same. We don't have hills here, but we have lots and lots of opportunities to slam on the brakes from 60 mph. I sometimes switch to EV as I'm slowing and then back to HV. I can gain 2-3 miles of range in about 15 miles of travel that way. I call it ratcheting the battery voltage. I haven't decided yet how much it actually helps. I suppose there are lots of possible terms for the effect. I wonder if we'll ever come up with a standard term. (n)

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What you are suggesting is cycling between EV and HV can be used to trick the charge holding mode to racket up the SOC. Interesting idea.

Bob Wilson

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It definitely works for me, but as I said, I haven't tried to figure out if it is really any advantage in the long run since the energy you store while stopping isn't all available once you're back in HV. Then again, the car does not have a problem with borrowing from that stored energy when it needs to, so maybe it is a net gain. Finding out would seem to me to require a predictable and repeatable set of circumstances. Something I can't do in the high traffic random stoplight environment here.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's exactly what it does. I use a scangauge in my Energi and see I usually pick up 2-3% SOC during each stop from high(er) speeds. The trick is to not forget to switch back to HV. :eek: Depending on conditions, I can usually pick up 4-6 miles of range during my 80-90 mile out of town trip. I use those EV miles once I reach my urban destinations where they are most efficient.

Now the question is: would that regen energy be better used (most efficient) for blending in HV while still on the highway or ascending hills vs banking that surplus for pure EV driving at slow speeds. :coffee:

#9 fotomoto, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup! I wonder the same thing. Sounds like just the kind of experiment @bwilson4web might enjoy. ;) I know I'd enjoy it if I had a good place to do it and a day or so to play with. The only place around here where I could have repeatable conditions is my local neighborhood with 20 mph speed limits. Not very "real world."

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I strongly suspect it only averages out if your starting and ending points are at the same altitude.

12. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would really help if Prime owners would post the mileages obtained using the various surfing/banking/sustaining modes. While using and charging the battery is important, it is the actual mileage changes that the various modes cause that determine their usefulness. Keeping a certain charge level in the battery is not necessarily the best high mileage strategy.

bwilson4web likes this.