1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chargepoint Usage, people?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, May 17, 2017.

1. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Local Costco gas is $2.79 per gallon.

2. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had my Prime for just over a week and have charged it three times at home, on 120v (it didn't come charged from the dealer, so the first one was the first night I had the car). I haven't activated the Chargepoint thing but have some questions on its use. I don't commute (retired) so any place I were to use Chargepoint I'd have to wait for the car. Is it possible to use a 240v place to cut the time to 2 hours and, if so, how does one connect the car and charge stand? I only have the charge cord that came with the car. I'd love to find one close to a restaurant we enjoy but so far there are not many places in my town. The local college has one and it is 240v so if I could use that I could go get a mocha and take my book along while waiting. That might be a good way to spend two hours. Bye the way, local gas prices are about $2.50 per gallon.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All the charging places I've seen are 240V, and you don't need your cable; it's part of their charger. Walgreens all seem to have single chargers out here in my area of Socal. If you can use the Entune app or the ChargePoint app, they'll show you the nearest stations.
    Good luck!

stevepea and DickPhillips like this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In North America, 240V charging stations provide the cord. Some places have 120V charging stations, and with these, you provide your own cord (it is just a place to plug in your own EVSE). In Europe, the customary practice is for the car owner to always provide the cord.

stevepea and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  5. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RE: not needing the cord...
    Really? Do you know, is it the same with "Blink"?

I haven't tried any of the outside charger networks yet (Chargeport, Blink, etc) but "Blink" seems to be at places I sometimes work at, as well as some "amusement park" type places. Over the last week I noticed Blinks at 2 locations I parked the car.

I don't generally carry the cord in my car (as I don't typically have a place to charge at away from home). Just glancing quickly, it didn't appear that there was a cord attached to the blink charger, but I didn't look too closely, maybe I was mistaken. Has anyone used "blink" before?

6. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It will take 2 hours 10 minutes to get a full charge at ChargePoint. You have 30 days to activate your card then 100 days to use your $100 credit. After that ChargePoint costs more than your $2.50 per gallon of gas.

7. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I did not wind up using any of the $100 credit I received from Chargepoint back in December of 2016 when I bought my Prime. The reason for that is that most of the Chargepoint locations in my area are free. I charge for free when I go out to a nearby town for dinner on the weekends. The period of time it takes for me to find a restaurant, order food, and eat, usually allows me to replenish the miles I lost getting from home to the restaurant. I also charge for free at a Chargepoint location that is in a parking garage near to the location where I workout (run, jog, and walk). I usually take the Prime there when it is close to empty and let it charge while I work out. I usually end my workout when I get the text from Chargepoint letting me know that my Prime is fully charged. I find that I work out a lot more now than I used to. So oddly enough, my desire to reduce my electricity costs (and make the world greener) has led to me getting in better shape.

8. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also wound up purchasing a Chargepoint for my garage. It has a user-friendly app that compiles and displays data in ways I can easily digest. Also, I love being able to charge right at home in just under 2 hours.

alexcue and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. Riversong

Riversong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most of the Chargepoint stations around me appear to be free, but some do require the card anyway so I did activate it. Would be nice if that $100 didn't have an expiration, or was good for at least a year, especially since these stations are pretty new in some areas.

I'm charging at one right now just to try it out. There are a few that are convenient to places I'm regularly at, and I'm sure more will be added soon, so this should get interesting!

alexcue and ArcPrime like this.
  10. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's a promotion from ChargePoint company. My guess is ChargePoint knew that not every Prius Prime owner will use the whole $100 credit, just like company offers mail in rebate not 100% consumers will submit the rebate.

11. Riversong

Riversong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of definitely - just seems like very few people will come close to even using half of it. Heck I would have even been happier being able to choose to reduce my credit to $25 in exchange for a year or no expiration.

ArcPrime and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  12. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've had 2 plug-in Prii give; neither one of them was able to benefit from the ChargePoint offer. Nothing has changed in the last 6 years in my area of Socal, other than once-free ChargePointot stations, now charge. The locations of the ones I've managed to find are irrelevant to my life. Just give me the money or extend the offer to at least a year to give infrastructure a chance to grow.

NJPrime and Riversong like this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On my trip I used the app to activate free chargers at a local park. I still haven't seen my card but it appears there's no need if you have the app.

I can't see how I would use the $100 in a year, or ten years. I can get the vast majority of my charging needs met at home and work. That means for me to use a ChargePoint station, the cost would have to be equal to or lower than my electricity cost at home to even be a consideration or else I'll just charge at home. I can't see them making money that way.

HPrimeAdvanced and ArcPrime like this.
  14. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My ChargePoint card came with the Prime. It was in the glove compartment. My dealer was not sure I had to ask the sales to verify card is in the glove compartment.

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know where it is - it's in an envelope in my manual, which is in my desk. My point is, you don't need it if you use the application.

HPrimeAdvanced and ArcPrime like this.
  16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have only used a Blink charger once, and it was a 240V station with a cord. I think that the only time you will be asked to use your own cord is for 120V stations, where you can plug in the EVSE provided with the car into a standard North American 120V outlet.

HPrimeAdvanced and stevepea like this.
  17. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Both my daughter and wife are using Chargepoint located close to their work, so I am glad we are getting some use of the $100 credit.
    My wife usually drives our Sienna, but sometimes I need it so she takes the Prime on those days. The closest one to home is about 4 miles away and it only costs me about $1.20 to charge at home so its not worth the hassle.

18. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't set up charge schedule. Everytime use A/C or not during charging pops up. I always. I have noticed a few times when I plugged my car to a chargepoint station "Charge Now" will show up, I tried to push the enter button " no response". I checked the blue light didn't turn on. Both ChargePoint station and app shows very low current. It will take a few minutes to ram up to 3.1 KW also the Blue LED light will start blinking. If "charge now" message didn't show up it will ram up to 3.1KW instantly. Is this normal?

19. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else had bad luck with Chargepoint support? All my emails seem to be falling on deaf ears.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's my fear.