1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

charging 110V vs 240V

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Flaming, Jun 15, 2019.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And you've pegged the GOM at 50 too, which most of us here are still wondering how that happens LOL

I'm not surprised one bit at your calculations. Dang!

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It requires a lot of manual switching between HV and EV. I have 7 years of trial and error in the PiP and Prime figuring out which strategies work better than others to maximize total MPG. You actually have to sacrifice EV miles per kWh a little to improve ICE MPG. If I switched to HV for every single acceleration from a stop light, freeway onramp, or uphill road segment I could get that number even higher. However, my total MPG would decrease.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm curious, since I use HV so seldom, how do you drive during the warmup cycle? Thursday morning was the first time I've run out of EV and the ICE fired without me noticing the typical noticeable thud of the ICE firing and gauges switching, etc. I was driving uphill at 30-35 mph and have no clue when the ICE fired until I was going back downhill with 3/tenths of a mile left, when I saw the red ICE on bar on the home screen on our 7 inch display.

When the ICE would fire in our 14 PIP just before that downhill mentioned above, I'd always pull over and shutdown and glide the rest of the way, if I could keep the ICE off when starting her up again.

Prime tricks are way different, a lot of the old PIP tricks don't fool the system, it seems to adjust later in the trip without it being noticeable to the driver, until EV range runs out earlier than expected.

#23 vvillovv, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Mostly I don't have a special strategy for warm up cycles, except when I know I'm going to need the ICE for a steep hill or something I will trigger the warm up about a minute early. If you don't, the car still uses the battery to move and the ICE is just idling to warm up. If you let it warm for a minute or so the ICE will be making power to the wheels to climb the hill.

Chazz8 likes this.
  5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I should have mentioned, with our PIP I became a 999.9 mpg addict. It was a goal to make every EV trip 12 - 19.9 miles at 999.9 mpg. Not an easy task with only 2 chargers in EV range at that time.

I can see how climate effects efficiency and have to adjust many strategies between summer heat 80's to 100 F and winter cold 32 to -10 F Now it's a bit more clear to me why climate is one of the possible differences in what we get from our Primes systems.

#25 vvillovv, Oct 25, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019