1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging a Prius Blamed for Starting Fire

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rebound, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Latest news from the fire at CalCar's.
    Seems that the original battery was not at fault.
    Now Ron Gremban is accepting Paypal donations to overcome the burden of the losses incurred by the fire
    Quoted from the article "He's a talented and resourceful engineer," drives a Chevy Volt since the the introduction to the market.........

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I definitely like that Gremban was one of the pioneering hobbiests in creating phevs, then bought one when the first major manufacturer built one. I can think of much better charities than giving money to a hobbyist, whose hobby helped burn his house down without enough insurance.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a little harsh. He invested a lot of time, money and ingenuity into proving that a plug-in hybrid could be built. That's more than a mere hobby.

4. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know this sounds selfish - but I rather he didn't fix anything up until he figure out what cause the fire... Even if it isn't Toyota's OE - just knowing how the PICC or DIY experimental system fail - is useful information to know. Just knowing what not to do is helpful as a guide sometimes when you are trying to do something you don't fully understand.