1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging at apartment with 110V at MAX rate

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Sid786, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I live in apartment building, hence can only drop down wire to charge at 110V.

Every time I charge at L2 charger, I use MAX current settings. While when I charge at my apartment I use 8amp settings in Prime. It normally takes 8hrs and 40 min to fully charge.

This morning I forgot to switch from MAX to 8amp and connected my apartment connection to Prime. I noticed 5hr 40 min to fully charge and realized that I had connected at MAX amps. But nothing blows up in the apartment.

I immediately switched back to 8amps. My question is that is PRIME smart enough to auto-detect the MAX amps st my apartment socket and didnt use full 15amps or I am just lucky that nothing blows up.

Can I continue to MAX settings or it is better to charge at 8amps.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it just means the circuit you plugged into could supply the necessary power without blowing the breaker.
    you might be fine to continue to do so, or someone may turn something on that circuit on and pop the breaker during your charge.
    there's no way to know, without knowing what's on that circuit.

fuzzy1 and EyePrime like this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would be nice to measure the amps you draw at MAX. What size and length extension chord are you using.

4. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think regulation is 15A, as long as outlets from the same breaker supply no more than 15A, you are fine.

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am qurious does the extension chord get warm?

6. krushmoto

krushmoto Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you use an extension cord I suggest you get a 14/2 or better 12/2 extension cord. The lower the guage the thicker the wire and the better it can handle the voltage.
    Your average orange extension cord from H/D or Lowe's is only 16/2. Technically it can handle the load but the wire will warm up. Better safe than sorry.

Nexus 6P ?

7. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am using a 12 Gauge, 50 FT cable and it says Heavy Duty. The cable didn't get warm on 8amps. I didn't use the cable on MAX amps for more than 5 minutes, before switching back to 8amps, so I dont know if it gets warm.

There is a A/C that normally runs on that circuit. On the A/C it says 9 amps rating. When the car is charging the A/C is not running.

It would be nice to get the full charge in 5 hrs 40 minutes, than the usual 8 hrs 40 minutes. A savings of about 3 hours in charging time.

I am not even sure, where the circuit breaker is located in the apartment. Are there any electrical equipment or any standards or guidelines, which can tell me the max amps I can draw before it blows up.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can draw 15 amps, unless it is a 20 amp circuit breaker. then you can draw 20. but that is you plus anything else on the circuit.
    a20 amp breaker should have a corresponding outlet, but not always.

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is actually better for batteries to charge at a lower rate of charge.

Does everyone agree with this statement. It's all about heat.

It's different if you need a full charge in a short time but if you don't need a fast charge why use it?

ClemsonSteve likes this.
  10. ClemsonSteve

ClemsonSteve Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would agree with that. Heat is battery bad—no doubt. But I’m assuming that the additional heat generated by faster charging is not mitigated in some way—like via additional cooling. I do want a 240 charger, but part of me is nervous about the additional heat and stress as opposed to slower charging. But maybe faster charging is better—being that it takes less time—much less time—less time means less stress and heat. But then again, what do I know LOL.

11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is all cleared with the Landlord?

Merkey likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For long continuous loads such as this, you shouldn't draw more than 12 amps from a 15 amp circuit, or 16 amps from a 20 amp circuit. The full circuit rating is for shorter term loads.

jerrymildred and Andyprius1 like this.
  13. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also charge my Prime from my apartment's 120 VAC outlet the amount of current being drawn is about 11.9 amps, there is a noticeable drop in voltage ( about 10 VAC) so I'm usually at about 109VAC when charging, I had a 2012 PIP and a 2015 PIP then finally the Prime bought back in November 2016. I have had no issues charging my cars:D

Merkey, Andyprius1 and bisco like this.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is the distance 50’, could you use a shorter cable?
    Plugin new version prii have a heat exchanger, the heat from charging is dissipated, so charging at 240v is just faster, who will offer the first fluid battery cooler, I need one.

15. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to clarify, normal voltage is about 120 volts. At this minute at my house the voltage is 122.1...it'll vary.
    I think it was in the 1950's that voltage was upgraded from 110 to 120. An extension cord labeled "heavy duty" is usually #14 gauge, what the rest of us would call moderate duty. If the cord gets warm, don't use it for this service. A #12/3 cord, no longer than necessary, is a good choice. By the way, the cord between the controller and the car is four conductor: two #14 gauge, one #12, and one #18. I think the 14's are the charging power, the #18 is communication between the charger in the car and the controller on the cable, and the #12 is a common ground. Or....???

Modern receptacle circuits have 20 amp circuit breakers. Older places were built with 15 amp circuits. No, you cannot upgrade with a higher rated circuit breaker or fuse. You risk a fire.

The max amperage draw for our cars' charger at 120 volts is 12 amps. That is fine even on a 15 amp circuit if nothing else is running on that circuit. There is no benefit from the slower charging with the modern battery and smart charging system in our cars. The slower charge is for locations with other loads on the circuit so it can't supply 12 amps.

16. Sid786

Sid786 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Apartment management is not aware of it. Am I obligated to inform them? Which is why just wanted to use 8amp yo avoid blowing up a fuse.

Starting a fire due to charging, will be a very concerning thought to me. I was only assuming that the worst I can do is blow up the circuit.

#16 Sid786, May 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2018
  17. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Max amps will only go up to 12 amps at a 110 volts.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you should ask for permission. This also allows the facility manager can make sure that you are on a circuit that can safely handle the load.

Long ago, when my business unit moved into a new facility, my group pre-arranged for (and paid for) extra electric circuit capacity in our cubicle area because of our heavy load of test equipment. We needed more power than the basic office layout default. And being electrical guys, we knew exactly what we needed.

A year later, a fledgling IT group moved in just across the partitions, and plugged their disk and server arrays into our circuits without our permission. Boom! So we yanked out their power cords before calling the facility workers to reset the breakers. That set off a squabble between those IT, non-electrical folks who just assumed that any reachable outlets were OK, and my group of engineers who bought and paid for extra capacity, then suffered a major blackout on our equipment benches. So we pulled in management, and forced the IT folks go buy their own extra capacity.

#18 fuzzy1, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    marcpablo, Merkey and Andyprius1 like this.
  19. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct - slow charging is always better than fast charging.

20. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Their not aware of it? Are you also charging your car on their dime?

Andyprius1 likes this.