1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging capacity question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Ifixthings, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Ifixthings

Ifixthings New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, I'm picking up a 2001 Prius that I plan to clean up and setup for my son's first car. I've already figured out everything else I need, but am currently not finding what I need on the last bit.

I've found that these cars don't seem to have an alternator fro the original battery, but rather work off an inverter setup. What I need to know is whats the capacity of that inverter? I intend on building a very small audio system around the factory radio, and don't want to overload the inverter to where it can't charge the battery.

I will be offsetting my load by replacing all lighting in the car with Sylvania Zevo led bulbs, and replacing the headlight bulbs with Morimoto 2Stroke, though I'm debating adding a set of Morimoto XB LED driving lights into the mix.

I'm looking at a pair of small digital amps. 400rms 4ch and a 500rms 1ch. I intend to drive the room speakers as well as the sub, add a few more watts for a processor. Little over 900w RMS. Now, my kid isn't the type thats fully into music like I am, so I have no doubts that the system will be either off or at low volume most of the time. But on the occasion that he does want to get a little loud, I don't want to overload the charging system.

So...whats the limit?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Around a hundred amps, which has to include a few dozen for making the car go, depending on what accessories are on.

In cold weather, when the electric supplemental cabin heat comes on, that can be 700 watts right there.

The converter has an 'IDH' signal output, which it turns on if it is feeling overloaded. From the factory, the only thing the car does with that signal is shed the supplemental cabin heat if that's on.

You could always tap that signal to back off the audio power if you were concerned. Or just tap it to a red LED somewhere, so at least it would let you know.

3. Ifixthings

Ifixthings New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's not so bad a rating. More than enough overhead space for the system I'd put in. Thanks