1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging cord repair?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by RobertF, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Dennis2302

Dennis2302 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi all-- related question-- my charger no longer works when plugged in. The power light goes on/off intermittently when plugged in, but mostly off (unless bumped around a bit...). Has anyone tried fixing it themselves?

I tried opening mine up but can't figure out what to do next and it's making me nuts. Any thoughts?
    IMG-0190.JPG

Thanks!
    Derek

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Dennis. That's how far I got opening mine up, too. I couldn't find any visible fasteners for that circuit board and didn't want to break anything since I was just looking a possibilities for upgrading to 240V. Normally, I'm not afraid to tear into stuff, but that looked like a recipe for an expensive mistake. I'll definitely check back in hopes that someone has a good answer for you.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if wiggling it makes it work, you have a bad connection. finding and repairing make take some exploratory surgery. i have never tried to open the brick. in the end, a new evse is relatively inexpensive, or upgrade to L2.

4. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Since you can move the cable and make it work, that's an excellent indication the charging cable can be repaired with little effort. Try to pinpoint the location of the break by keeping the entire cord stationary while you flex one small section at a time. You will probably find the break is at one of the 4 connection areas: the AC plug, either end of the brick, or at the car connector. The circuit board doesn't like the jolt it gets from a broken connection going in and out, so don't postpone the repair.

5. Dennis2302

Dennis2302 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks all! Jerrymildred the lack of visible fasteners bugged me too... it seemed like it could be taken apart but there must be some "trick." I scoured the internet too with no luck-- I figured there must be somebody out there who has done this! Pluggo thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.

jerrymildred likes this.