1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Delay - approx 5-10mins

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bb4srv, Jun 4, 2018.

1. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Has anyone experienced this. Every so often, the charging will be delayed after a plug-in.

The behaviour of the delayed charging upon plug in are:
    - dash will say "Charge Now". Press "OK" will not do anything. Normally it will indicate time to full charge.
    - blue LED will not light up
    - the charging fan inside the car could be heard running (but not charging as per above indicators)
    - OEM charger has the charge light lit (green led)

I tried plug and unplug and still won't have the "time to full charge" menu nor the blue LEDs. Then, I just leave it plugged in, and go back to check after around 15mins and it will have the Blue LED charging flash and when i opened the door it will say time to full charge, - normal charging indicators.

No charge schedule in car, or charger. Live electricity when plugged in.

Anyone experienced this? It is running a cooling sequence or some sort of diagnostic before it attempts to charge the battery?

Kindna inconvenient when I use public chargers b/c I won't know right off how long before the car is charged so I can come back to move it.

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It happens. Don't worry about it.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mines set to charge immediately upon plugin.
    Never checked if it does.
    Could yours be waiting for the traction to cool a little?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it really hotter are you driving it hard? try disconnecting the 12v negative to reboot the system.

5. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Not hot. In fact, very temperate around 20C - 68F. Last time this happened, I wasn't driving the car hard, and weather was less than 68F.

It just kind of inconvenient if this delay happens at a public charging station b/c I won't get the time to full charge display.

6. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO It's the battery thermal management. Happened a couple of time when ambient went to the mid 80's, and I fully discharged my battery on the way home from work. Never happened in the winter.

7. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's been happening to me ever since I got the car. Ambient temperature usually does not matter as it has happened to me at 5:30 AM in the morning when the temps are 40F and at 80+F in the afternoon.

Plugging and unplugging the car, turning the ignition on and off, moving the car, etc. will not work. Trust me, I have tried it. Just wait and the car will start charging within 5 minutes or less.

8. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    mine only did it once. just so happened it was a 104*F day and the car had been sitting in the hot sun at work with a full battery. Drove home on EV with AC set to 68. That and it was the first day i used my juicebox L2 charger, after installing it the night before.

9. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think you have a problem with your charging system. I’ve had my Prime for 6 months now and never had a problem charging right away. I even added a charging schedule a month ago and if I needed to charge right away, I just do the plugin, then unplug and plugin again. Works just fine.

10. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's happened on different charging systems (i.e. completely different L2 chargers). As long as it doesn't take more than a minute or so to start I'm OK with it. Saw it happen to another Prime user right who pulled up right next to me. Just told him to wait a few minutes and it started right up. He was plugging/unplugging the car, checking the schedule, etc.

11. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It happens when the battery is hot. Could be from ambient temperature, sun, or use. This is because he car doesn’t have very advanced cooling and Toyota wants to protect battery longevity.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    must be an improvement they made over the pip. funny how it's never more than ten minutes.