1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging efficiency of PIP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 3PriusMike, Jan 18, 2013.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but it is significant in these calculations, much larger than "noise" in determining the charging losses.

Do you have the kWh in/out of just the pure EV portion of the 130+ miles, like maybe the first 100 miles before the ICE came on?

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just reporting the data on the EPA site.. I've not measure it since I don't own one.

On the other had others have reported that type of level, e.g. see
    First day with my Prius Plug-in | Page 4 | PriusChat
    for some 120v charging data (3.28kWh)
    and for charge point data over 3.1kWh see:
    Kill-a-Watt owners: PiP kWh usage accurate? | Page 2 | PriusChat

John Hatchett likes this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In your case, that was about .1 gallons then? Does anyone know how much electricity that would have resulted in? I am sure it isn't 100% efficient, after all it is running the engine, and going into generating heat, and charging the battery. But if only .03 gallons charged the battery, that is still about 1KW, or about 4% of your total Electricity measured.
    These small numbers would result in a significant change to the efficiency.

I know the estimated EV range changed, but as the HV mode runs, does the KW used also change (assuming KWh used is displayed in the car?)

John Hatchett likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EPA said it takes 3.2 kWh (and 0.3 gal) to go 25 miles in PiP. I agree with drinnovation's assessment regarding the charging loss difference between L1 and L2 chargers and the "top off" overhead. EPA also said 2011 Volt takes 12.9 kWh to charge 10.6 kWh.

POWER (P) = VOLTAGE (V) X CURRENT (I)

Power, which expresses the work performed by electricity charging the battery within a given amount of time, is calculated by multiplying voltage by current. Doubling voltage (120 -> 240) would cut the current by half.

Next, by following Joule’s Law (Calorie = Current ^2 x Resistance), the power loss in terms of calories is reduced to 1/4.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mike switched to HV mode at 55 mph and went for 5 miles. At that speed, I doubt ICE warm up would not make enough power. That means, the PHV battery power will be "borrowed" and the ICE won't shut down until it returned the "borrowed" charge. See this data I captured. I switched from EV to HV mode two times (ended with EV). The SOC management is pretty good.

Why did his EV range went from 8.0 to 9.1 miles? Well, he exited the freeway so the regen brake recaptured the energy he used to get up to 55 mph (with PHV battery).

The 5 miles in HV mode isn't counted as EV mile so, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not exactly.
    The ICE definitely warmed up because after ~3 min I started getting > 75 mpg. Inititally EV charge went from 8.0 down to maybe 7.5 miles. Then in the last 2 miles or do the EV range went up to 9.1 miles. I switched out of HV and back to EV a bit before the exit and drove about 1 mile on city streets and was back down to ~8 miles when I parked.

And yes the 5 miles in HV doesn't count for EV miles. I added 230 wh to account for adding those 1.1 miles. Maybe I should have added 300 wh? Who knows? But in the overall analysis, you can see if I add another 500 wh it won't change the numbers by that much...just 1% difference in the losses. So, as I said it is in the "noise." Recall that you only get a readout on the EV driving ratio screen of 1000 wh (1 kwh) at a time.

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The method I used to determine how much gas was used to charge the battery was to observe the miles remaining. This value went from about 8.0 to 9.1. My full range charge was 13.0 miles. There I estimated that I had charged 1.1 out of 13 (or 8.5%) of a full charge of 2.7 kwh. This comes out to ~.230 kwh...no where near 1 kwh.

Also, your conversion of 0.03 gal to 1 kwh is very far off. The ICE is only about 35% efficient in converting a BTU of burned gas into mechanical energy

Mike

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Head hurts, brain full, too much data, too much data, blacking out!!! :confused:

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  9. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :giggle: :giggle: ...Who Let the Engineers Out?... (to the tune of "Who Let the Dogs Out" from 1999) :giggle: :giggle: