1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging etiquette

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by MNdriver, May 20, 2017.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm new to all of this, having owned my car all of one week and charged once. I can't charge at my condo so can only use public facilities.

I want to be a good citizen and relinquish my spot to an EV who needs it more. I just laminated a 4x6 card that I can leave on my windshield allowing others to unplug me if necessary.

My question is how easy it is for them to do this. If I don't lock my cable in, will they be able to disconnect me if my charge isn't complete? The one time I charged was using Chargepoint; I disconnected via the app and confirmed that I wanted to prematurely stop.

I'm going to be at the airport tomorrow; I'd like to charge while there but don't want to take up the slot of a traveler who needs it more.

2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you don't have the cord locked, then the cord can be unplugged at any time.

#1 in Easley,SC

Prius from Dad likes this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, to the question asked. I have pulled the plug on several Volts, Energi's and was able to successfully charge my car, but I do check to see if they have finished charging.

Prius from Dad and dalcon95 like this.
  4. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks! Hope I'll find a charger free tomorrow to try out my plan.

5. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I charged my car 1st using ChargePoint at work. I saw an EV parked next to the charging station no driver. I asked my coworker " Am I cutting the line?" He replied it's 1st come 1st serve. He parked his EV next to the charging station when he needs to charge his EV. There is not a waiting list thing. Just go ahead pull into the parking stall and start charging. So I did. I didn't see any note on my windshield after charging. Although he told me one time some lady left a note on another coworker's windshield complained that he hogging the charging station. He has the same EV as the guy before him. So that lady thought same car hogging the station.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  6. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Don't pay to charge if the cost is over a dollar. That's about what it's worth for our Primes.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you like driving ev, and don't want to burn gas using 'force charge'.