1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging in "confined area"?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by David Beale, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any of those from AT-PZEV or TZEV hybrids?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow.

Annual Certification Test Data for Vehicles and Engines | Compliance and Fuel Economy Data for Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

According to that, the 2017 Prius produces 0.08g/mile of CO when the engine is warm. Since it gets 52mpg, that's 4.16g of CO per gallon of gasoline consumed.

A Prime running in CHG mode will consume no more than 1/3 of a gallon of gasoline charging a dead battery to 80%. That's a maximum of 1.39g of CO.

My garage encloses about 200m^3 of air which, at my altitude weighs about 210kg.

1.39g / 210,000g = 6.6 PPM - and that's if there's absolutely no air exchanges at all (in reality, it does at least 2 exchanges an hour).

CDC says the Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health concentration is 1,200 PPM. They say the safe 24 hour exposure level is 50ppm.

In fact, this means the exhaust stream is about 583PPM. The CDC says, "It has been stated that a 1-hour exposure to 1,000 to 1,200 ppm would cause unpleasant but no dangerous symptoms". This means you could probably breathe the exhaust from a 2017 Prius directly for an hour with no ill effects.

Like I said, it's amazing how clean these cars are.

That said, I'm not going to run a tank through my car in my enclosed garage, especially since there's no reason to. Even if I had to run my house off my car for an extended period because of a power outage, I'd crack open the garage door and let the exhaust go outside.

GreenJuice and Prius Maximus like this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK. I guess I need to be "educated" in "Prime speak". So plug charging is ok, but engine charging is not. Why didn't they just say that? "Don't run the engine in a confined space, either to warm it up or to charge the Traction Battery!"

For those concerned about the 12V battery, they do say in the manual that it is under a small load when the traction battery is being charged by plugging it in. They warn to ensure its' charge is maintained properly. Funny they don't bother to include a "maintainer" for it when plugged in. Too expensive I guess, though a small change in programming -might- make it possible for the inverter/charger to maintain it when plugged in.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob w. mentioned this, but he said that the manual stated: 'when prime is done charging, do not leave it plugged in, because it is under a small load'. not while it is charging.
    i don't think it was true for the pip (could be wrong) and wonder what has changed.
    when the pip is fully charged, all the lights go out at the charging port. i wonder if something stays on in the prime and puts an added load on the 12v?

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's how all the reviewers at the test-drive event started with a full battery. There weren't any plugs available there...

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They did! It's called CHG Mode! Catch up! :D:D:p

But yeah, of course regular charging via the charging port is fine. It's the "Charge Mode" where the engine runs to charge the battery that is the concern.