1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging issue

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Leksvndr, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Leksvndr

Leksvndr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone!
    sometimes a strange problem appears. for the first time this happened in the mountains, there was a long descent and the battery was fully charged, then engine braking was turned on.
    when the descent was over, engine braking continued even at the slightest descent, as if some protection had been turned on from recharging the batteries and the battery was completely discharged. Further, for some time the battery did not charge at all.
    the engine was just turned on for 20 minutes and there was no charge. After some time, the battery was charged and everything worked fine.

2. Leksvndr

Leksvndr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here are the indications given by dr.prius

Attached Files:

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hot battery/full battery. Either will cause the system to use engine braking to protect the battery. Happens on long, steep downgrades with lots of regeneration.

The Professor and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Leksvndr

Leksvndr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, but why then does the battery run down? the temperature was already normal at that time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it happens aside from long descents, i would have it looked at. otherwise, chalk it up to heat and battery protection

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You posted your pictures while I was typing. I'm not a Carista expert, but some of those pictures look to me like you're getting really close to needing a new traction battery. Or else there's a bad connection in the sensor wiring. Unless you're over 150,000 miles, it's still under warranty. I'd ask the dealer.

Leksvndr and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just the way it works - it's protection for the battery, and possibly the inverter. Mine does it from time to time.

There is one location I drive every Friday where it uses EV much of the time and gets down to 2 or 3 bars, then charges to 7 again, then similarly in EV, charges again - at which point it won't go into EV till it's cooled down. I turn off ECO Climate to get more cool air into the back floor area when that happens - sometimes, most times, I just let it do it's thing, it'll get over it.

It also does it on a downhill mountain pass where it charges quickly. It makes none/very little difference to my l/100km.

kithmo and jerrymildred like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles in her?

9. Leksvndr

Leksvndr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    118k now

10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    When you say engine braking was turned on, was the shift indicator showing "B" on the MFD or was it showing "D".
    What I would try in the situation you were in is, if it is showing "B", shift to "D", if it was showing "D" shift to "B" then back to "D" and see if that starts up the charging process.
    Of course if none of that makes any difference then it's probably the battery protection system doing its thing.

alanclarkeau likes this.