1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging option question for Model S

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by cycledrum, Feb 9, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Allow me to ask a hypothetical question about charging a Model S at a relative's house on Holiday afternoon.

Let's say it is Thanksgiving day and I will be travelling 150 miles straight in a Model S 85kWh car charged to the brim and showing, say 250 miles range.

So, I go to SF airport, pick up 2 others, then out to Manteca for example. Get there and the car says 95 miles left. I want to drive the 150 trip straight back, no stops for charging, want to get home early.

There are a bunch of cars at this person's house. We are to park the car there and watch football, eat dinner, stay 4 hours.

I have to get some charge. What are my options at this person's house (it has a garage)?

note - Not leaving to go to a charging station. Would I ask beforehand to use a dryer outlet at this person's house, NEMA 15-40 and offer some money? How long is portable charge cable? Feasible to go from driveway well into the garage?

Candid responses appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Note - also posted this question on teslamotorsclub , but we can learn here too.

efusco likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few thoughts:
    1)What sorts of roads are you driving on? What time of year? What speed do you anticipate driving? Those will dramatically affect your anticipated range. From my experience today with a loaded car averaging around 55mph I had more projected range at the end of a 63 mile trip than I had rated range, but had I been doing 70 on the interstate it would have been less.

2)Any chance you can get to SFO an hour or two early? I'm pretty sure they have EV chargers there and you could pick up around 30-40 miles of extra range there on the way up. Double check with the airport to be sure and see exactly what they have available.

3)What is your starting location? There are superchargers in both Gilroy and Folsom near San Francisco and basically Manteca is right between them, the obvious option is to grab a charge at one of those locations depending upon your planned route. A 30 minute stop will give you plenty of charge to drive the trip just about however fast you'd like.

4)You really need to speak with the home owners and find out EXACTLY what sort of high amp outlet they have, where it's located, if it's accessible, etc. There are only limited adapters available for the many different 30amp dryer outlets. At my father in law's cabin this weekend he had a dryer outlet that was accessible, but I didn't have an adapter, so it was useless.

5)The standard EVSE/UMC is only 18' long and it would be unlikely to reach from the back of a garage to a car outside of the garage unless it is a very small garage and you back the Tesla partly into the garage. You could try using a 110v, but in 4 hours you'll likely add only about 12 miles of rated range.

6)Worst case scenario is you'll need to plan a couple of extra hours (2 should be enough) to stop at an RV park to use a NEMA 14-50 which will give you an extra 60 miles of range. There are lots of apps and web sites to help you find them. KOA has a trip planning site on their web site that shows where they are located and what services they have, most have wifi, pools, a snack shop and typically charge $5-10 to use an outlet. Always good to call well ahead to make sure they're available and see what services they'll let you use for what price.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want more information. This trip should be very doable.

cycledrum likes this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Evan,

I had originally posted that I don't even own a Model S and can guarantee I won't anytime soon :) but, I changed the post.

Thank you for your responses. I had a very similar trip on Christmas day. It was raining like crazy and my brother in law was landing in SFO about 5pm (he's an airline captain). We picked him up about 5:15pm and headed straight to Manteca to make it by 7pm, stay until 9pm and take him back to the hotel to rest for flying out the next day. Sounds crazy, but we wanted to have him meet family in Manteca.

It was probably 100 miles from Union City to SFO to Manteca. About 50 F, rainy, driving 65 MPH over few hundred feet elevation of hills, mostly freeway. The family's house we were at had a garage, but I recall it was filled with stuff, no room for cars.

We might have made this 200 mile trip on one charge. Still, it would be better to at least have the car on 110 while visiting for 2 hours.

If you're plugged in in someone else's driveway, are there risks with charging cord theft? Could it be easily unplugged and swiped? Sucks to think about, but rascals come along. I would imagine the cord is pretty expensive.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The charger plug locks into the car. If someone chose to they could damage it, but not steal it.
    That trip would be pretty doable on a single charge, but I agree, why not grab an extra 6 miles. I probably would have planned at least an hour at SFO on an EV charger there, you'd get an extra 17 miles or so from that.

Also, the route from Tracy to SFO takes you very close to Fremont. With a call ahead I bet they'd let you on either a supercharger or at least an 80 amp High Power Wall Charger...60 additional miles in an hour on that.

I didn't comment on the payment thing. It is generally considered a courtesy to offer some small gift, a bottle of wine, a gift card, something like that as a thank you. But in 2 hours on 110v you'd use maybe $0.25 worth of juice.

cycledrum likes this.