1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging PIP using Chevy Volt 110V charge cord

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ClaySacramento, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I drove my Prius Plug-in to a friends's house this weekend and tried charging my car using the 110V charge cord that came with my friend's 2012 Chevy Volt (it's one of the new ones with CA Low Emissions Package). I thought that all charging stations with a SAE J1772 connector followed the same standards, so they could be used with any vehicle that had a SAE J1772 connector, but apparently this is not true. The charging indicator next to the port turned on when I plugged in the cable, but it shut off after a few seconds, then would flash periodically. The display inside the car showed that it was charging, but provided no estimate for the charge completion time. The Charge Management section of the Entune app displayed an error saying to check the charging cable.

Has anyone successfully charged a Prius Plug-in using a Chevy Volt 110V charge cord?

Has anyone had problems charging their Prius Plug-in from any other charging cords/stations?

2. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Maybe the cord needs to be metric....jk....be interesting to understand why it did not work....

3. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Phil ( pEEf) can probably provide the most complete answer.

I think this is just an example of the space for interpretation in the SAE standard.

4. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does the OEM cord have voltage/current protection circuitry specific to the PIP safe charging limits?

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are manufacturer specific I.D. circuits built into each cord that the cars query when plugged in. If its not a Toyota OEM cord it will be refused by the PiP, and the same for Volt. Prevents cheap knockoffs being used and causing expensive and dangerous problems!

6. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Nobody has reported any actual evidence of that.

All J1772 units are supposed to be compatible with each car. I'm not aware of any other car which is unable to charge using the Volt charge cord. For example, the LEAF can be charged with the Volt charge cord. It was true that early LEAF charge cords could not charge a Volt but I'm not aware of any other J1772 EVSE cord that is unable to charge the Volt.

I'm surprised that Toyota didn't test that interoperability before selling the car since Volt has been on sale for over a year.

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Could have been one of the Chevy recalled cables? They just recalled all charging cables except for Feb builds....

8. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No cables were recalled, it was a customer satisfaction exchange (i.e you can do it if you want). That was all about the plug that goes into the wall having a potential to overheat. No change in the electronics.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does it work the other way around? Prius PHV cord with the Volt.

10. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Devprius and I plan to do a 120V charge cord interop test today.

2 people like this.
  11. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure what the cut off date is for the affected models, but my friend just received his Volt about 3 weeks ago and it was the first one with the CA clean emissions packaged that the dealer had received, so he may already have the new cable.

I haven't tried this yet, but the next time my friend comes over to my house (not sure when this will be), I can suggest that we try charging his car.

With all the Volt owners I've seen posting on this forum, I'm surprised no one else has had a chance to try this yet.

12. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    JeffN and I and some other Leaf & Volt owners will be trying this at work later today.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Okay, our testing was completed during the lunch break.

There is good news and bad news.

The bad news is that we confirmed that the first 2 versions of the Volt 120V charge cords do not work with the 2012 PiP. I hope to upgrade to the newest 3rd version of the Volt charge cord soon and will check that with the PiP as soon as I get it. The PiP 120V charge cord worked fine charging the Volt.

The good news is that GM and Nissan fixed their interoperability problems in the 2012 model year. The 2011 LEAF cord works now with the 2012 Volt where it doesn't with the 2011. Likewise, the new 2012 LEAF charge cord now works with the 2011 Volt where the 2011 LEAF charge cord used to fail.

I'll create a table of all the combinations and will post it here later tonight.

5 people like this.
  14. ThatTallGuy

ThatTallGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Excellent work. Two questions: you don't mention the Leaf-cord-on-a-PiP combination? And second, in case the third version of the Volt cord works, is there a way to tell what "generation" of Volt cord you're getting by looking at it? If Toyota wants $1200 for a cable, and a Volt cable works for $350, I can see myself getting a Volt cable. :)

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Um hate to break it to you but your results are not as conclusive as you may think. My Leaf portable EVSE was deliverd March 2011. It charges the PiP just fine.

16. sdmack

sdmack New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2nd generation has an orange cord from the 120V plug to the EVSE. 3rd generation has a heavier, black cord from the 120V plug to the EVSE.

My Volt is eligible for HOV, delivered 2 weeks ago, still had the 2nd gen unit. 3rd gen are apparently still in very short supply.

1 person likes this.
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the note of interop, from My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered! (from long ago) when pEEf was still in his earlier stages of EVSE upgrades:
    However, I believe that's been rectified.
    From http://evseupgrade.com/:

18. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I ran out of time to post the full matrix of testing results tonight so I'll do that in the morning. But, I never said there was a problem with the LEAF cord charging the PiP. That worked fine. There was, however, a problem with the Volt cord charging the PiP. The first two versions of the Volt cord failed to work with PiP. The latest version is still an unknown for now but that should be resolved as soon as I get mine old one swapped for the new.

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff N didn't say anything about the Leaf not being able to charge the PiP. What he said was that the 2011 Leaf EVSE couldn't charge the 2011 Volt. The 2011 Leaf EVSE charged my PiP just fine. Unfortunately, neither version of the Volt EVSE could charge my PiP.

20. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Leaf EVSE charged my PiP without a problem. I'm hoping the third generation Volt EVSE will work with my PiP. As you say, $350 is a much better option than $1200 for second EVSE. I really liked the built in cord managment of the Volt unit, and the ability to switch between 12A and 8A operation.