1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging plug binding

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by John P Tippett, Apr 14, 2022.

1. John P Tippett

John P Tippett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My wife is complaining that the charing plug is too difficult to remove from the Prime. It does bind a bit, especially if you don't pull it perfectly straight out. It does require quite a bit of yank.
    I have tried graphite powder, but it doesn't stay on the surface.
    Has anyone else experienced this, or could recommend an appropriate lubricant?
    Thanks!

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There have been a few reports of the EVSE being a tight fit in the cars charge socket. Most of them occur at charging stations, but it's also possible that the OEM EVSE could be a tight fit. The EVSE is supposed to be a snug fit, but it's not supposed to be tight enough to have to wrangle with it to get it in or out of the cars socket.

If it's not extremely hard to unplug from the car, I'd just wait of it to wear a bit and keep fingers crossed it loosens up enough that it doesn't need yank to remove.

It's just a plastic to plastic mating surface, so a dab of any lube that's plastic safe would probably help if spread evenly around the outside of the EVSEs mating surface. Wiggling the EVSE a little before attempting to remove the EVSE from the car might also help, as long as it's wiggled gently with the release trigger depressed.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Try it on a public charger to determine if it's your socket or your plug that's tight. The public chargers tends to be properly waddled out; so it should plug and unplug easily - at least with minimal effort. If it's still tight after a month of use; I would mention it at my first service interval or sooner. Tell them what you tried and your experience at a public charger - but don't mention the graphite or whatever other lube you've tried. Clean that stuff off, before going to the dealer.
    It's under warranty; let them sort it out... A good dealership would/should replace the defective item to make you happy.

#3 BiomedO1, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well ... I was about to make a suggestion and then noticed that @John P Tippett never came back to see any of the other answers. (last seen 3 weeks ago)

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I have a similar problem with an aftermarket EVSE. I've used sandpaper and file to reduce the diameter of the outside of the plug. I've compared what I thought were the critical dimensions using a digital caliper that us accurate to .0005 inches. It is a little easier to plug/unplug but I'm not satisfied.

Next will be to see if I can figure out where he individual connector towers are binding. I'd love to use Prussian blue to determine the contact areas, but the black plastic won't show the blue ink. :(

Dan

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I might not want to try this right away, but as a last resort you might want to try finding a drill bit that fits snuggly in the pin guide holes. Than one at a time (testing after widening each one) use the drill bit to open the guide holes, maybe 1/4 or half way to the contact points to see if the EVSE slides in any easier, part way or even all the way.

7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's a good idea. I know the problem is in the EVSE's plug, not the car's socket.. My original level 1 cord still fit's quite nicely and easily inserts and removes.

jerrymildred and vvillovv like this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I wound up doing with my Duosaida EVSE. But I took it apart so I could test fit everything individually so I knew that I was working on the part that needed work. I left it a little snug and use dielectric grease to make it easier.

Too bad that the OP seems uninterested in reading any responses to his question. Still hasn't visited since the day he joined and asked.

vvillovv likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm kinda hesitant about responding to new posts with only 1 post count to the profile. I know that it's probably confusing to new members having their first 4 posts delayed and moderated. That delay probably accounts for some of those members that don't respond in a timely way, if they even erer make it back to vies any responses to their single posts.

I just think there's no sense making what might be a confusing situation for some, more confusing by noticing they are not returning and or seeing the responses to there new threads.

We can't win um all... That's reserved for the super rich (add your own adjective here). ;)

FuelMiser likes this.