1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Question at 120v

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Phildgreat, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Considering options for our charging needs for 2 Primes arriving next week.

Assuming we charge at 120v:
    • Option 1: Install one dedicated circuit breaker @ 30 amps. Both cars charge @ 12 amps so 2 cars is 24 amps and both cars plug into the same outlet.
    • Option 2: Install two dedicated circuit breakers @ 15 or 20 amps each.
    Does Option 1 work or are there some concerns? Option 2 seems pretty straight forward. I'm not sure if there are any cost savings between the two but if there are, it may be a factor.

Thanks!

2. koryliss

koryliss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think two outlets is probably right as there is not a 120V 30 amp outlet in the configuration you need (straight blade - see attached).

Nema.jpg

SaraBBrown94, KCWhitney and fuzzy1 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only negative i see to option one is if the breaker tripped, both cars would stop charging. but that is very unlikely. i would go with the one circuit. consider upgrading the wire size, so you can go L2 later. without much work, if you desire.

4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Option 1 will not be advised
    If you have one charging already and another just about to plug in you will create voltage drop and car that was already charging will ramp down current
    It is possible just not worth
    Option 2 will be much better
    I have two Prime and one is charged by 120v and another on 240 v
    Temporary way you could use drayer outlet with extension cord to have 240v in garage
    It is not cheap...but much less than hiring Electrician

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not an electrician. More specifically I am not an electrician in California or the city you live in.

Option 1 would work fine if nothing ever went wrong. If you have electrical issues, however, twice the power that the EVSE is designed for could flow through it without blowing a breaker. You want that breaker to blow just as soon as things go wrong, not allowing twice the power to flow to somewhere as if all was fine.

Options 2 prevents this by having two, smaller power, breakers. It is likely to be slightly more expensive, but much cheaper than the deductible on a new house.

6. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. Seems like Option 1 isn't feasible and Option 2 is best of the two options. I'll contact an electrician for a quote.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Option #1 won't pass muster for reasons shown in koryliss's socket illustration.

That leads to a potential third option, if electrical codes and local authorities approve:

* Option 3: Put in a single 240V, 20 Amp circuit, with full size Neutral wire. I.e. split phase. Wire the two 120V sockets (in a single junction box) on opposite sides of that Neutral. This approach allows for the two 120V outlets to eventually be replaced by a single 240V outlet for L2 charging.

If using this approach, I'd use heavier wiring appropriate for a 30 Amp circuit for a future higher capacity conversion to 240V 30A. But it would still require 20 Amp breakers now (not 30 Amp) for those initial 120V sockets. And to avoid tripping both cars at once, consider using a non-ganged 20 Amp breaker.

#7 fuzzy1, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! Two Primes at once. That's jumping in with both feet. Well done! I am jealous, but in a friendly sort of way. :D

I am an industrial electrician (or was till I changed careers). @koryliss is right. You'd need some sort of adapter to connect the EVSEs into anything bigger than a 20A receptacle. And then you'd have the possibility of a breaker stopping the charge on both cars rather than just one. Separate outlets and breakers is easier and more reliable. It's tempting to factor in cost, but don't let it get in the way of safety and code conformity.

Samprocat and bisco like this.
  9. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, two blizzards Primes arriving next week! :)

Okay, after speaking with four licensed electricians here where I shared the same panel photo below with 1 physically arriving at my home to inspect, I'm receiving mixed info about what my panels capable of supporting.
    1. Says my panel can't support an additional 20 amp breaker and will need an upgraded panel.
    2. Says my panel can support only one additonal 20 amp breaker but will need to convert an existing to a tandem (double) beaker.
    3. Says my panel can support two 20 amp dedicated circuits. No mention of tandem (double) breaker.
    4. Says my panel can support one 220v 40 outlet.
    What do you guys think? I'm looking back to you guys for some assistance as I'm thoroughly confused now.

Here's a photo of my panel:
    panel.jpg

Thanks in advance!

10. cjp767

cjp767 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With room for one 40 amp circuit your answer is simple, but expensive. Google the clippercreek share2. Although best described on their web site, the share2 can support full 16 amp charging for 2 cars simultaneously. Moreover, it supports 1 car at 32 amps if the other evse isn't charging. (But our Primes can only take 16 amps). Fantastic product, and somewhat future-proof. I have one. Let us know what you think.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think some electricians are more interested in making money than doing the right thing. no offense to my but @jerrymildred who i know wouldn't sink to that level. take his advice, and hire the electrician who agrees with him.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With that many tandem breakers already in place, I would also be prepared for the possibility that the existing service (apparently 100 Amps) might warrant an upgrade (to 200 Amps).

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think I counted 260 amps of breakers in a 100 amp service.

40 more amps of hours long full load may be unwise.

I could not see a brand name, is it a Square D service?

amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-HOM4080M200PCVP-80-Circuit/dp/B00NO2533U

Getting the same brand and series service would allow you to reuse your existing breakers.

#13 JimboPalmer, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks like a pretty old system. You might give serious thought to replacing the panel as @fuzzy1 and @JimboPalmer mentioned.

I think electrician one is being careful because he doesn't know what your actual load is. So is Number two. Three and four are a little braver, just looking at the space available. There should be a label that tells you how many breakers (single or double) the panel is made for.

Short of a new service entrance, and not knowing what the label says, you do have room for more 120V breakers. Looks like you could physically fit in one 220V (which wouldn't meet your needs) or two single or two double 120V breakers. But that might overload the incoming wires and/or the backplane since you're potentially adding as much as 27 amps or more with two chargers. (My PiP draws a little over 13 amps.) You only have one 100A breaker, so you're probably safe fully populating it, but with all those doubles, I'd be careful.

I would recommend checking how many amps you're drawing now while the lights are all on and the refrigerator and other appliances are on, especially whatever's on that 100A 2-pole breaker. Turn on everything you can from TV to toaster. If you have a clamp on amp meter, take the cover off the panel, turn stuff on, and put the meter around the incoming wires one at a time to see what you have. Keep in mind that there is the possibility of drawing more current that what you read, so I'd leave a good 30% for head room. Others may have a different fudge factor. And all of this is assuming the panel is made to accept more breakers.

I can't figure out the brand either. Doesn't look like Square D. Square D is what I prefer. If you can swing it, the QO series is nicer than the HOM, but both are good.

16. Phildgreat

Phildgreat Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, I considered this previously until I reviewed the final costs.

I really have no idea what brand it is. There are no labels or anything on it that helps me identify it or how many breakers it can accept! I just know it's the original panel that was used when the home was built in the 1979 and I need to lift the cover up to access the breakers.

I'm concern about the charge time here. Any idea how long it'll take to charge up from empty to full on 8 amps? I'll also need to install a dedicated 20 amp breaker for this, right? I'll consider it though.

@jerrymildred, yes, I know an upgrade is likely needed and I'll start planning for it but may be sometime at the end of year to early next year. Also, I like your idea of identifying how many amps it's drawing now. I don't have the tools for this so I'll ask an electrician to see if he can help identify this for us.

Last night, I decided to go through each breaker with exception of the 40As and the 100As (was hesitant to test the bigger ones but can do it today) to see what's being used and what isn't. I ended up finding about 6 of them that weren't being used at all that but were flipped on. 1-15A, 2 tandem 20A, and 1 half of a tandem 20A.

The green boxes are free:
    panel rev.jpg

At this point, we're looking to install 1 charger now based off everything we've learned and the challenges that persists. Either a L1 or L2. I work in the day and she works at night so the only time it may pose a problem is on the weekends but we'll find a way to manage.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the feedback everyone! I hope I can resolve this all before the cars arrive otherwise we'll look to use an extension cord (thicker gauge) as a temporary bridge to solving this piece.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Keep the extension cord short and heavy and it'll be fine. Check it to make sure it and the EVSE don't get warm, just to be safe.

Merkey likes this.
  18. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can install 15 or 20 amp outlets to a 30a breaker. If you look around your house you most likely have 15a outlets tied to a line with. 20a breaker.

So both ways would work. But I'd opt for #2 myself

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm seeing several suggestions that this is a code violation.

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't taken the time to look it up, but I would think it would be. You could melt down the outlet without tripping the breaker. Outlet and wires need to be able to handle at least enough current to trip the breaker without damage.

fuzzy1 likes this.