1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Station Etiquette - Sharing :)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by janie, May 13, 2012.

1. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the first term item is what is generally meant by 'ICED'

(although the end result is basically the same...)

2. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Minnesota isn't close to either (especially this year in baseball).

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My guess is that someone with the mentality and attitude that would result in that someone ignoring the EV parking designation would likely be angered by the criticism, and go looking for the nearest Prius or Leaf to vandalize in retaliation. Discretion is the better part of valor, I've been told. As was posted earlier in this thread, let Karma take care of it.:eek:

4. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ditto, except, I've seen a LEAF...once, oh, and I have a Mitsubishi-i.

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would think that someone who parks their non-EV car in a spot clearly marked EV-ONLY probably already has a pretty negative opinion about EV cars and their owners, and would be more than willing to express their opinion with their key. In fact, it could actually lead to road-rage violence. A parking space is not worth getting killed over :shocked:

6. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The other day, as I finished charging in Balboa Park in San Diego, an elderly gentleman drove up with his wife in their ICE vehicle and asked if they could take my spot. The man pulled out his handicap placard, mistakenly thinking the blue charging-only sign was a handicap-parking sign. He said all the other handicap spots were full so he wanted to park there. I politely told him the parking spot was not a handicap spot and that his car might get ticketed or towed. He didn't understand what I meant. To him, the charging-only sign was blue and that meant handicap parking. The man's wife grasped the concept of the car-charging spot and tried to explain it to her husband. I drove off and let the two of them finish their discussion, hoping that the woman was successful in educating her husband.

7. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As an owner of an EV, and I've said it before, I hate to be the naysayer, but public charging on a large scale, is not going to work. Refueling belongs in a fueling station....which puts us back in the hands of the oil companies...which makes me want to charge at home only...which to me makes the EV a "local" car....But I'm ok with that.

Allannde likes this.
  8. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Or getting 'keyed' over...

9. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Interesting point.. maybe they should be making EV parking signs in bright green to avoid confusion and maybe attract attention.

10. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was drove through two parking structures in the City of Burbank last night. One parking structure has a sign that says "Parking is unrestricted after 6PM on Mondays thru Fridays, and on Weekends." A lot of the parking spaces have signs that say Bank parking only, or the name of a business only, three hour parking only, etc. I am sure some people are going to point to that sign and say, "Oh it is after 6PM, and I can now park in this nice Electric Vehicle spot. They also have two chargers in each structure. Going left to right there is a charger in front of the left space, with a sign that says EV parking only. There is a second charger at the very next space without any sign at all. The next space has no charger, but presumably can use the second charger. There is an EV vehicle sign in front of this space, and a Blue handicap sign. Does this mean you have to both drive an EV vehicle and have a handicap placard for this space? Last night all the spaces were ICE'd but one car was displaying a handicap placard. All of the ten other handicap spaces were vacant. THe other handicap spaces were wider and had the handicap symbol painted in the middle of the space. This was not done at the spaces that had the EV sign and the disabled sign.

After driving from one structure to the second structure, across the street, and back to the first structure, I was finally able to park in a space, and in fact a second space opened up, and a Leaf had parked in that spot, and started charging as well.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go to mynissanleaf dotcom & drill into the "local" menu ... I think there's a Leaf group that has a local get together where you can easily get an eye full. Same with charge locations ... go to 'plugshare-dotcom' scroll over to NY area of their map database - and you can hardly see the city for all the charge icons.
    ;)

12. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just received an email from the director of sustainability at my job. She is reserving one of the EV parking spaces with my name on it! WOW! Didn't think they would roll the red carpet out for me like this!

I sent a complaint that normal cars take all the EV spots since they are close to the building and they are parking in my "gas" station. We only have 3 EV spots.

So shocked right now.

13. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't forget to SHARE.

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But the parking space has his/her name on it? :D

At my work we have my PiP and a Leaf. We dont have our names on our charging spots, but the security shack is right next to the spots, so the guard prevents potential ICE-ing by people who dont read signs. We asked them to paint "EV only" or something on the ground but they wouldnt do it either.

15. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At the public charging station in Century City Shopping Center they put yellow cones in the EV parking spaces and it totally prevents ICEing Since they started doing that a few months ago I haven't seen a single ICE parked in these spaces.

16. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it is the Chargepoint Charger, they charge 85 cents/hour, with a $1 minimum charge, according to the Chargepoint website. The Chargepoint charger across the street at the office building charges $3 per hour. Another office building charges 95 cents an hour.

17. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They are going to make a sign that says the spot is reserved for me. We have three EV spots and they are always ICEd. I am so thrilled. Drove home today and got 20.5 miles EV and the last 8 were ICE. I definitely want that plugin spot.

And I am a guy...

18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

20.5 miles EV.. you're really miking that battery. Nice job you do deserve your own spot.

19. banshee2008

banshee2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have another somewhat related etiquette question I was interested in opinions on. If you go to someone's house (i.e., a friend)...is it okay to ask to plug in the car at their house to charge it up for the return home?

On the one hand...you would never ask for gasoline. On the other hand...most people wouldn't think twice about asking to plug in their cell phone to charge.

Comments?

20. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For me, It depends how close the friend is to me. If its someone whom I've known and good friends with I will ask. If it is more of a casual new acquaintance I will not ask. One time I was not going to ask but the friend initiated an offer to let me plug- of course I accepted:)