1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Station Protocol?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ny_rob, Oct 18, 2012.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill got me the link to the legislation. I thought he would have it handy and he did.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The nice thing about chargepoint EVSE's (at least around here) is that you can reserve there use via the web. Even that doesn't stop you from getting iced. It's not a perfect system but it helps.

SGH-I717R ? 2

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's some photos of the ChargePoint station, the two parking spots it covers and the signage. Note the absence of cars today- due to hurricane Sandy the courts were closed today- I had the whole row to myself!
    IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1307.JPG

4. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    NY_rob, Get a can of Green and paint the curb of the 2 spots. If you're uncomfortable doing it, call the Clerk first and get approval. They won't say No.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know... they're pretty uptight at the courts... guess I could ask about painting the curb...

If I could get some good examples of effective signage (not mentioning 'tow away zone' because that's not an option here in NY) maybe I can convince them to change the present sign to something more effective.

The same Lexus SUV that has been occupying one of the ChargePoint spots every day last week was back again today now that court is open again. He seems to own that right-most parking spot!!

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is not clear if the corner spot is for EV since the sign on the second yellow pole is missing. The charger is in the middle so I would think so.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's a good one from evnut.com's web site. Simply change the words from, "Electric" Vehicles to Plug-In" vehicles:
    [​IMG]

Oh - one more thing - here's a quote I read about a very bad charging scenerio posted on another board that REALLY sickened me - regarding Mitsubishi's VERY gracious policy to let NON mitsu plugins use their charging facilities . . .
    "... one Volt owner who parks her car there every night to charge, and bicycles home. The ultimate free loading opportunist ..."
    Jeez, I can't believe the gaul. Please people . . . . do NOT be like that. It's sad that anyone would ever have to be told to NOT be that rude - which can ruin it for all (shaking head).

ny_rob likes this.
  8. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely needs clearer signage/curbage!

9. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Revolting.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless someone from Mitsubishi has asked her to NOT leave the vehicle plugged in overnight, I don't see a problem. I doubt that she is locking the plug into her vehicle like some people advocate.

Many people don't have a charging opportunity at their residence, should they be ineligible for owning a plug-in?

When there are free parking spaces available , do you still park at a meter instead?

lensovet likes this.
  11. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    People who can't charge at their residence are free to buy any car they wish, plug-in or not. But are you saying its the responsibility of others to keep a plugin owner's batteries charged??

The free parking spaces analogy does not apply here. A more fitting analogy is when restaurants leave mints in a bowl by the exit and you empty the whole bowl into your pocket. There was no sign that said you could only take one, right? Most likely no one will stop you or ask you to put it back even if they saw you. But everyone will think you are a douche for abusing the courtesy.

hill likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    But if they didn't want me to take the whole bowel of mints .... and SELL 'em right out side their restaurant, wouldn't they have a sign? ;) Yep ... it makes one wonder how far folks will go, when not being specifically instructed (in writing) on how to act polite. Mitsubishi didn't bother to put up signs. But what they DID do, was, they parked ALL their EV's in front of all their EVSE's for a few days ... so that she'd get the idea ... and hopefully not force mitsu to drop the hammer on everybody ... and keep things on the informal level. That aint easy to do when you have clueless cheep skates.

Tracksyde likes this.
  13. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    This is worse, because she's not even a customer. It's like walking off the street into a restaurant, taking some mints, and walking out again.

And then doing it again every night.

The problem I have is that there's a cost to the dealership to provide her with free electricity. Once in a while as a courtesy, OK. Every night - that's abusing the courtesy.

The dealership should put the public charging station on a timer and turn it off at night.

Tracksyde likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We run a sort of commercial business out of our home, so we offer it up on plugshare dot com ... even at night ... because some folks work night shift. But if I found someone leaching like that (day or night) ... I'd just put the abuser on a special "no trespassing" list ... just for them.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course not.

I continue to be amazed.

Taking the bowl of mints is depriving other guests. Leaving a vehicle at a courtesy charging station overnight is, usually, NOT depriving other guests. Another guest can unplug the vehicle and charge if needed.

lensovet likes this.
  16. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You would likely find yourself in a court room, at the wrong bench. :)

I would suggest you make the plug available to "customers" rather than the public if you wanted to restrict the usage.

Do you have a tip jar next to your plug? :)

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    None of our own customers have ever had a plug-in yet. So far, EVSE use has been to anyone, just to promote plug-in's. We have enough surplus PV solar, that the utility pays us around $200/year (at a paltry 2.9¢/kWh) - so we're simply reducing our surplus juice.
    Presuming no 1st amendment issues, private companies can limit courtesy charging how ever they want ... you could limit use to silver cars only ... EV's only ... nice people only, Toyotas only ... or what ever. No shirts, no shoes, no service. ;)

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sure they can, they just need to make sure they are not excluding any protected class, directly or indirectly.

19. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That makes two of us.

20. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    It's not depriving other guests. It just seems like taking undue advantage, but if it doesn't bother the dealership, then maybe they're taking hill's attitude (below) that it's worth the cost. (And let's not get into unplugging people, unless they have a courtesy placard showing.)

I guess my problem with it comes down to the appearance that a rechargeable vehicle owner looks like she's freeloading. So maybe the person taking a handful of mints nightly from the restaurant is the cousin of the owner, who's totally OK with it. But an onlooker would think "What a rude person," and if that person were wearing a PriusChat t-shirt then we'd all look bad by association.

Which is more explanation than it ought to take to explain my gut reaction. So I withdraw.