1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging statistics

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Tiansen, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Tiansen

Tiansen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to this car and am interested to know if it is possible to see how much electricity (kWh) was consumed for charging in a certain timeframe? I would obviously prefer to use vehicle software for that if possible not some additional device to plug charger into.

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Got a smartphone? There's an app for that. From Toyota. Did your dealer not tell you about it?

3. Tiansen

Tiansen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, did not tell me about that. Have to research everything for myself :) Is this app available for Android too? So this information is available in app only, but it is not possible to view it inside car information system?

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Smartphone app is for Advanced trim only. Which trim do you have? I don't have Advanced, so I maybe wrong on this, I don't think app shows how much electricity (kWh) was consumed for charging from the wall. If that's wat you want to know, then you will need to plug your charger into something like Power Monitor - Kill A Watt EZ | P3 meter.

arthur92710 likes this.
  5. arthur92710

arthur92710 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You can buy one of the fancy and expensive wifi enabled chargers, they will probably do that for you.

Personally, I've used the Kill A Watt while I only had the 120V charger. Then when I put in a 240V line with a basic charger I added a "Sonoff POW" Sonoff Pow: Electricity Usage/Consumption Monitor Switch to measure the power use. It has a very simple app that just logs daily and monthly power use.

It's rated for 250v and 16A so it's being pushed to the limit chargeing a Prime. My background is in Electrical Engineering so I modified the device a bit to handle the high power better. *Insert generic warning about messing around with electricity and not burning your house down*. I have it inside a wall mounted plastic junction box in line with the feeder from the breaker panel to the outlet. It's been running without any issues for almost a month now.