1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging strategy

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Lee Jay, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The use of the charge schedule includes this note:

"If even one charge schedule is registered, charging does not start until the set time, even if the charging cable is connected to the vehicle. To start charging immediately without changing the charge schedule setting, turn “Charge Now” on to temporarily cancel the charge schedule and enable charging immediate after connecting the charging cable."

This led to me to think about my charging strategy.

During the week, I'd like it to charge just before I leave for work.

On the weekends, I'd like it to charge any time it's plugged in.

It seems from the note above, that doing that means I'd have to remember to turn on "Charge Now" every time I get out of the car on the weekends because it would otherwise wait until Monday morning to charge.

Am I missing an obvious strategy here?

Prius Maximus likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think so. can you think of a better way? if you want the charge timer, you have to be able to plug it in and walk away without it charging.
    when you want to charge now, when you plug it in, nothing will happen. hopefully that will remind you to hit charge now. but maybe an audible warning would help?

that maybe an improvement on pip, not sure if there's a charge now feature, or you have to cancel the timed charge.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It should have a 7 day schedule. My Energi does.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure how a 7-day schedule helps. It won't start charging until the next scheduled event, rather than right then.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You don't schedule sat/sun and just plug in whenever you want (friday evening) to start charging. Shouldn't that work? I admit I don't use charge scheduling (just pre-conditioning scheduling in the winter) as I always want my car fully charged and ready for the unexpected which sometimes happens in my life so maybe my suggestion won't work.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think so.

"If even one charge schedule is registered, charging does not start until the set time, even if the charging cable is connected to the vehicle."

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahh, so plugging in on friday it would simply skip sat/sun and start charging on monday (late sunday night). Hmmm.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I'd like to do, I think, is tell it "charge now" from time xxx to time yyy and resume the schedule outside that time. I don't see a way to do that.

Maybe a "start" schedule would work? What happens if there's a "start" schedule and you plug in *after* that time? Does it start charging immediately?

9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The PiP was opposite in that if you don't press the charge timer button, it will charge right away. I thought that this is the better way to do it. If I forget to press the button, I still have a fully charged car when I need it.

iplug and bisco like this.
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dang. The answer to that one is "no".

"Charging does not start, even though it is time set in “Start”

Likely cause: "Charging cable was connected after set time"

Correction procedure: "Connect the charging cable before the time set in “Start”."

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's one possibility.

"If the charging indicator flashes after connecting the charging cable"
    The charge schedule (→P. 147) is registered and charging cannot be performedimmediately. To cancel charging using the timer and start chargingimmediately, perform any of the following procedures.
    ●Turn “Charge Now” on (→P. 156, 165)
    While the charging indicator is flashing, remove and reconnect the charging connector within 5 seconds"

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Plug it in twice. I don't know about that. Might be too much hassle.

Insirt and bisco like this.
  13. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That, and double the wear and tear on the connectors.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True, but the connector is designed for 10,000 mating cycles minimum.

My experience with these cycle designs is that they are VERY conservative unless you handle them harshly.

15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't have to plug it in twice. Just press the button to start charging.

I use the "End" timer instead of the "Start". We're speculating from the PiP since no one has a Prime. Using the End timer, charging will start if you missed the start time. I've had late nights a couple of times and noticed the charging started right away. I immediately regretted staying out so late as I had to go to work in less than 3 hours according to the timer.

The way to ensure that charging starts or scheduling starts is to look at the LED light after you plug in. If it turns off after 10 seconds then it's on schedule timer. If you want to it start charging right away, go back in the car and press the timer button.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it? Finding 3-4 hours later that the car was not charged is a real frustration as some can testify.
    Prime has charging schedule if you choose it that stays in force until canceled, this is an improvement from the PiP 'one time' timer.
    you can override the schedule for one time immediate charge by choosing 'charge now' on the screen. Forgot to do it? charge indicator will remind you by flashing and you can rectify the situation without going back into the car.
    I don't need more than this.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any recommendation for a sarcasm simile?:D

bisco and mmmodem like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    roll eyes is as close as we get.

19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are several on the interwebs...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

or my favorite...

[​IMG]

Trollbait and bisco like this.
  20. Glipzcom

Glipzcom New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So, I just got my Prime on Sunday, and I can't believe how hard it is to get the schedule to work. I have the plus trim, so I don't have all the remote app features, working with just what is in the cars system. I set a schedule to charge Tue-Fri ready at 5am with climate pre conditioning.
    Went out on Tuesday and realized the internal clock was set to PM not AM (not shown on any display), so my bad, roll it forward 12 hours.
    Went out on Wednesday and still not charged or warmed. Shows next charging event as "Wednesday 5am" but its now Tuesday 5:30 am.
    Then I realize the car must have a calendar, (again not displayed anywhere obvious) have to go to a forum to find where you set said date. Car was off by a day. Still not sure why it wouldn't have charged, as it was supposed to charge on Tuesday at 5am.
    Then I notice that if you set a charging day, it gives a notice that implies it ignores all other potential charging events until it hits the one you just set, which maybe it means my car was going to wait a week?

All I know is this car for all its impressive tech, and overly "helpful" data points is kinda information vomit with very little regard to usability. Granted this is my first Toyota, so maybe there is just lots of conventions I need to learn.

Then again you have a set time menu item, and below that a reset mins to 00 menu item, but didn't have room for a set the date?

sumting77 and bisco like this.