1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Switch Jammed?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DPConno, Nov 24, 2016.

1. DPConno

DPConno New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just getting around to figuring out the features of our 3-week-old Prius 4 (2016), and realized that the on-off switch with the phone charging mat appears to be jammed down. Isn't it supposed to turn off and on? Seems like when we test-drove one, it had a light that glowed too, to indicate that it was either on or off. Ours seems permanently pushed down, with no light.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want this feature bad enough to have the nice white console messed up by the Service Department. Do you think that's what would happen if I took it in?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I'm assuming your phone is Qi compatible here. If it were my car I'd be straight on to the dealer. I wouldn't fiddle with it, just let them see for themselves how it is so they can't accuse you of breaking it in trying to fix it.

3. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe mine is, push the switch, and a light indicates it's on. I don't us it as my I phone doesn't have it built in. No way am I going to hang the charger on the back of the phone with a cable on it that plugs in to the phone. I think it's a slower charge. Just plug it in. Also I wouldn't want it on and put anything magnetic sensitive, credit cards, on the pad with it on. I wonder how you could test if it was on?

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not quite sure what your point is here. OP obviously has a tech problem with his Qi charger and you're pointing out that you don't use yours. I use mine occasionally with a Nexus phone on android and notice that it gets really warm without very much change to state of charge.

When switched on the indicator glows green and when Qi is linked to the phone and charging it glows amber. Removing phone from tray or switching off, the indicator light goes out.

5. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I focused on "Are you really going to use it. Do you really need this fixed. And the service dept tearing up the console question"

6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair point, but I the impression the OP wanted to use that feature. :)