1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Tesla in EV desert

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 31, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mom lives in Coffeyville KS where I've tried three approaches: (1) RV park spot rental; (2) 100% SOC charge, and; (3) commuting 20 miles to L2 charger.

The RV spot rental ran about $20 a couple of years ago. But I need someone to pick me up and return me 2-3 hours later after the Tesla is charged. Given the high rental cost, it makes sense to maximize the SOC.

Getting a 100% SOC at the nearest SuperChargers uses 1/3 of the charge to reach Coffeyville. This gives 1/3 for local errands but I have to leave with enough SOC to reach the SuperChargers. It is also costs about $11-12 to get a full charge. Driving between Coffeyville and the SuperChargers takes an hour each way, two hours lost before the additional charging time, 45-60 minutes.

There is a free L2 charger, 25 mi/hr (30 A at 208 VAC,) about 20 miles away from Coffeyville. The charge time is just under two hours to handle commuting costs. So it makes sense to maximize the charge but at 25 mi/hr, this can take hours. The best approach appears to leave the house around midnight with a pillow and comforter. Park at the L2 charger, cat nap in car, and leave around dawn to return home with 220 miles minus 20 miles of the commute. It is the cheapest solution burning about the same commuting time and issues.

Sad to say, the Coffeyville 1920s house power does not include grounded outlets. Otherwise, I could add 30-40 miles overnight using the portable L1 charger. If we can get a NEMA 14-50 safely added at the house, everything becomes much easier. But electricians are not cheap and I am an infrequent user.

Bob Wilson

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes me appreciate the benefits of a PHEV even more.

Just drive them and forget it. Use electric when convenient and available - get 50 to 60 mpg when traveling distances with over a 600-mile range on gas + electric per one fill up and charge. Less than 5 minutes spent to fill up anywhere in the US to replenish your 600-mile range.

Would a portable charger make sense for your situation? Realize return on investment for a portable generator with the right capacity could be a challenge. This might also come in handy for a power outage in your area to allow you to keep your transportation options open.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The BMW i3-REx would work, 72 mi EV and +90 mi gas (coded), but SO needed it for her errands.

Another option used on a previous trip was to stay in motel and use 110 VAC 12 A to add 5-6 mi each hour.

EV early adopters have to solve unique problems. So I’m sharing past experiments.

Bob Wilson

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Consider buying or building a quick 220 ??
    That's what many of the Nissan Leaf early adapters had to resort to.

540-0213-00-Quick-220.jpg

A lot of evse equipment also needs to recognize GFI circuitry. To overcome this hurdle - it required carrying a one-to-one isolation transformer to spoof the evse into thinking it was gfi protected.

bwilson4web likes this.