1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging the 12v battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by MICHAEL RUBY, Apr 27, 2022.

1. MICHAEL RUBY

MICHAEL RUBY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    Could you please clarify for me: I have gotten four distinct opinions on how the Prius C 12v battery charges or should be kept charged. What, in your opinion, is correct?
    1. It seems to be the overwhelming opinion on this chat that the 12v battery will charge any time the engine is on or in Ready mode and that the rate of charge depends on how fully charged is the traction battery. Some have said that you only need to leave the car in Ready mode for 1 hour to fully charge the battery. This was also the opinion of the first AAA guy who came out to start my car.
    2. The second AAA guy said, no, it is necessary for the wheels to be turning to get the traction battery to charge the 12v. It does not matter if the car is being motivated by the traction battery or the ICE.
    3. The service person at my Toyota dealer says, no, it is necessary for the ICE to be running. You need to be driving it around at more than 30 mph to be sure the traction battery is not moving the car and the ICE is.
    4. There are some people on this chat who advocate for installing a battery maintainer and using that as the way to keep the 12v charged. Just plug it in whenever you have access to AC mains.

So, in your opinion, who is right?

bisco likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 and 2 are close but not correct. The wheel does not have to turn nor the engine needs to run. The car just needs to be in READY. 3 is incorrect. A typical Toyota dealer answer. LoL

4 is needed if the 12v battery is weak or old and if the car is not driven (or just on READY mode) often or long enough.

#2 Salamander_King, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    #1 is closest to correct. The car is capable of charging the battery whenever it is in "Ready" mode. It doesn't matter what else is going on.

...as to whether that can fully charge the battery vs merely deliver a useful maintenance charge? I haven't studied the system well enough to offer any advice there.

Battery maintainers are great when you've got considerable free time and your car is going to sit a lot, but it's extra junk to manage for most drivers.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Being in READY is all it takes, but one hour is far too short to fully charge a depleted battery. In Gen 1 and Gen 2, it would take more like 15 or 20. Gen 3 (and c) are better than that, but I would still allow several hours if the battery was deeply discharged.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They are all wrong, at least as you describe the options. To keep it simple based on my 15 years of gen2 and gen3 experience, just drive the car several times a week. Keep a reasonably new 12v battery in there, maybe six years or newer.

If you leave the car for two weeks or more, consider a $35 Battery Tender Jr to keep the voltage up. Even then, I have left my hybrids at an airport for three weeks at a time with no issues.

Some people have experienced overnight 12v discharges due to lights left on or hatches not completely closed. The agm 12v batteries used in a Prius can take this once or twice a year, particularly if you notice it in a day or two because you are using the car frequently.

Having a $100 lithium jump starter for the above situation is reasonable and is easy to carry in the car (under a seat, not in the hatch that may not open). It can prevent a potentially damaging car to car jump start. Even this is optional especially if you have road service coverage with your car insurance.

Often owners forget about their 12v battery for seven or eight years and are "surprised" when it fails without warning in the grocery store parking lot. Since the small battery does not crank the engine, there is no old school slow cranking warning. When you proactively replace the battery you can shop for a quality Toyota replacement while saving a few dollars.

Finally if your 12v battery is discharging quickly with no obvious reason like lights left on, have the battery load checked. If that free service seems to pass, then have a vehicle parasitic draw test run to ensure your continuous off state current is 25ma or less.

#5 rjparker, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5) none of the above

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With less than 4K kms yearly, #4 works for us.

No kidding about the usage: last fill up was end of January, and gas gauge hasn’t made it to half yet.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmm. That's not too much more than I WALK every year (about 3k km). Gas up once a week in the Gen2. ;)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Amazing! And you still have chronic egr clogging issues! 30k miles a year is my average.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No issues lol. Just my crusade. :unsure:

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's right till you got to that one hour part. It takes a lot more than a hour of driving to bring a dead battery back to normal. But it might charge it enough for you to start it again if you don't let it sit too long.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Now that's funny right there! I wonder where he got such a screwy idea.

Almost as dumb as #2. The things dealers say! [Edit to add: No, I think it's even dumber than #2.]

Good idea if you don't drive more than once a week and/or your trips are very short. I have almost never used the one I have but I drive 200-300 miles a week or more. And I carry a lithium jump pack which I've used three times but never needed for my own car. (Yet. My battery is five years old.)

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to the above replies ...
    I believe the emphasized part is also wrong. The 12V battery charge rate should not depend on the traction battery's state of charge. At least not until the traction battery is too deleted for the inverter to work properly.

Until then, i.e. over the traction battery's full intended working range, the inverter output should be regulating to whatever 12V output is needed, independent of the input condition.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I missed that it said it depended on how fully the traction battery is charged. That was another falsehood. Good catch. It will vary a little depending on the 12V SOC and that's what I read since it's what I expected.

fuzzy1 likes this.