1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

charging the hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TheGMann, Oct 25, 2021.

1. TheGMann

TheGMann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a thousand ideas and maybe one may be good, never hurts to ask.

Has anyone tried to charge the HV Battery with jumpers from another HV battery?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i recall, but i doubt there would be enough power in a similar sized battery.

not sure about the donor car software either

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Probably.
    But they may not be alive to tell about it. :eek:
    Seriously NOT a good idea.

4. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It is almost impossible to be able to do that. Toyota has a charger called THS which connects behind the inverter using the car orange cables to provide power to the battery. Also, connects to the battery ECU using 4 pins to control the main relays which connect the car side to the Hv battery and complete the high voltage circuit safely. The third cable is a bonding cable between the charger and the battery case. The procedure is 10 min and increases SOC by only 2%.

in theory, you could risk dying from electrocution and you could jump start the HV battery from another HV battery wearing insulating gloves, removing both service plug grips, using a ground jumper cable between the cases, use two more jumper cables directly to battery terminals bypassing main relays (EXTREMELY DANGEROUS), installing plug grips again and charge it for 10 minutes. If any cable slips, touches a wrong side or creates a short it would be an electric chair situation.

I would pay a dealer 1 hour of labor to do it safely with the THS charger.