1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging the US-spec Prime in Europe?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Chris Grogan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Chris Grogan

Chris Grogan New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I live on Germany working for the US government and I'm allow to ship US spec cars to Europe. My question is will I be able to charge the car using the European 230 v and 50 hz electricity? I know I'll need a US to Euro plug adapter, but I'm not sure if I'll need more. Thoughts?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Chris Grogan likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've modified your title to be a bit clearer :)

Chris Grogan likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pray he does not modify it further.

5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    US specs Prime is equipped with J1772 inlet port (IEC type 1 plug). European specs Prime is equipped with IEC type 2 inlet which is physically different.
    The portable EVSE that comes with the US car is no good either as it is for 120V (L1) only.
    What you need is a US specs L2 portable EVSE - this one will work in Europe with an adaptor for the wall socket, just make sure it is rated for at least 15A (I am doing it for over 3 years now with my PiP which has a J1772 inlet).
    Another option is as @JimboPalmer suggested, just make sure it has a J1772 (type 1) plug. The Toyota Europe cord (portable EVSE) for the Prime (called prius PHV in Europe) will have a Type 2 plug while the cord for the PiP (gen 1 prius plug-in) will have a type 1 plug and will fit the US Prime inlet port and will work, however, it will take longer than 2 hours to charge from empty to full as it is rated at 10A while the prime can accept up to ~14A at 230V.
    Another option will be to purchase in Europe a third party portable EVSE, there are several, just make sure it has a J1772 (type 1) connector and it is rated for at least 15A. It will charge from empty to full in about 2 hours.

#5 giora, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  6. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have a look at my post in the charging cable thread. The one I received would work for you just by changing the wall plug to the Euro standard (or make an adapter). It is rated for 50/60 hz, will handle any household voltage, and comes with the proper connector for the prime. And when you connect it to 220 (230) it is a Level 2 charger. And, it was $165 delivered.

7. WafflesMcDuff

WafflesMcDuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    bisco likes this.