1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging Timer Function (Finish Setting)

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by LeoArt, Oct 6, 2012.

1. LeoArt

LeoArt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've noticed the charging timer function is pretty dumb in regards to the finish time setting mode. I thought it would calculate when initially plugging in that it would need x amount of time to complete the charge then start accordingly. It does not appear to do that as it usually completes charging at least 35 minutes ahead of set time. Today I set it to finish charging at 10:30 am and it was finished by 9 am. I might as well estimate the amount of time I need to charge and set the start time accordingly instead of using the finish time function. Has anyone else noticed this in their use?

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, mine finishes early also. I figure it allows for charging from completely flat, but most of the time I have some charge left when I park and plug it in. It usually seems to wind up charging in about 2 hrs, 30 minutes. I don't track it all the time, as I have it set for 6:00 am, so I only check it if I happen to wake up extra early. If you have set the finish time based on a regular scheduled departure time like that, it will get the job done with no worries. I think that is what the engineers may have had in mind.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's more helpful as a second timer. charge at home, charge at work kinda thing. could have been two start times i suppose...:confused:

4. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Because many others said the Finish timer always seemed to start too early, I only use the Start timer.
    With a dead battery, I set the Start 2-1/2 - 3 hours before I want to leave. Simple.

5. LeoArt

LeoArt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, I just setup a test charge and it started 3 hours prior to set time, regardless of the state of charge. It's a second timer :rolleyes:

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  6. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use the finish timer at home. Its set to 8:20AM (because I typically leave the house at 8AM). I changed it to 8:30AM once and when I went out to unplug at 8AM, it was still charging.

I've been using the Finish timer at home for a solid 5 months or so. So I dont know if it "learns" and adjusts. But my reason for changing it from 8:20 -> 8:30 was because I was working my way up until it finished right before I left. But it seems my actual finish time is around 20 minutes +/- 5 min of my set finish time. Maybe I'll try 8:25 to see if it finishes by 8AM.

When I arrive at home, I'm usually around 20-22% SoC (almost as empty as can be). So if it always starts 3 hours before the finish time as LeoArt suggests, then that would explain my relatively consistent actual finish time.

7. rockfeller

rockfeller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been using PiP for a month now.Used this timer for only few times.
    Generally I like my PiP ready to go any time, as some errands come up in the night between 7 to 11PM.
    If I connect charger after coming from work, I will get few miles at least charged.
    My work is more than 11miles, so generally most of the EV miles are gone by the time I am back.