1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHARGING TRACTION BATTERY IN PARALLEL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dxta, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please people! I want to ask some questions.

1. Is it possible to recharge a battery pack/modules in parallel?
    What benefit does that offer?
    I am familiar with charging my modules in series, but not in parallel.

2. Does anyone has a schematic of the circuitry, when the pack/modules are connected in parallel?

3. Is there a possibility of one converting a replaced battery pack to a spare battery? This I mean, an extra battery being used as a jump starting battery for the hybrid system, just in case it fails someday.

Thanks for your responses.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's definitely possible to do it unsuccessfully:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't seen as clear evidence on PriusChat of it being done successfully....

-Chap

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! This is kinda funny, and serious.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First of all... Just about anything is possible. Especially if it is an emergency and it needs to be done. Is it safe? Depends on how you do it.
    You should wear personal protective equipment. For example, class 00 high voltage gloves. If you like living, please proceed with caution and be safe.

1) possible. No advantage. Other than let's say you were BA Baracus of the A-Team and you only had an hour before the bad guys were coming back and all you had was a low voltage charger to charge up your pack so you could escape.

2) No schematic. But here is am explanation.
    Turn all the modules in a line so that they are stacked next to each other with their positive terminals facing one direction.
    Loop a wire around around each of the positive terminals to connect the modules together. 1 to 2 to 3 to 4.... All the way to 28.
    Do the same for the negative terminals.
    Attach positive lead of the charger to the wire that is attached to the positive module terminals.
    Attach negative lead of the charger to the wire that is attached to the negative module terminals.
    This is low voltage (under 10v) but you still could add a diode, fuse, switch etc for added safety.

3) Yes. Super, super dangerous if you don't add any safeties (fuse, switch, etc) you would be handling live 240 volts dc. It might be safer and less awkward to simply purchase a 240vdc power supply and add safety. A power supply is way lighter and more easily moved than a hybrid battery pack.

Feel free to call and talk through ideas.
    But seriously, you can kill yourself or injure others around you if done wrong. And all it takes is one instance of doing it wrong for a fatality to ocurr.

2k1Toaster and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Zoran Petkovic

Zoran Petkovic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. It is possible but, you need provide voltage and curent control, proper cooling.
    Positive - conect and leave to charge; no vasting time to reconect blocks
    Negative - no posibility to control charging process
    2.use hoise power wire, strip insulation and conect each positive terminals and with second wire do the same with negative terminals.
    3 it is posibile, just need to add battery managment AND COOLING to prevent funy pics from second post

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

hotelprisoner and Dxta like this.
  6. Zoran Petkovic

Zoran Petkovic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see my paralell solution on my blog pejinasvastara.blogspot
    Also you can see my chager - tester and snik a pick in develop process

Dxta and bisco like this.
  7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think I want to try it. But I do understand your explaiayions though.
    Thanks very much for your time

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. enormiss

enormiss New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for a safe charge amp / time and or finished voltage for the OP's option 2

I've identified bad modules already and am looking to charge all good modules to same voltage for reinstall.
    I only have one charger and was looking to save time (substantial time)...
    The cells are now in a line + to + and - to - connected with a wire down each side and clamped back into Original assembly
    Thanks!

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    300 milliamps
    Use a fan for cooling.

You can decide what voltage you want to stop at. That will determine the time.

10. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is how am doing it.
    Current limiting power supply at 1.1 amps
    And discharge hold in tell heater turns red about 45 second (with a lot of battery attached) just 1 battery for 10 second
    Then after a few times charging / discharge (days)
    Then I change the order to balance them
    Matching them by the time it takes to drop .4V 7.9V to 7.4V using a headlight as the load
    Am hoping the two cell in parallel matching with the same discharge time will be good enough. New one are 20min old ones 15 min I have a 4 10min one but they hold long at a lower voltage longer 7.4v to 6.5
    I didn't have a error code I had a bad fumes - gas coming from a few battery making me sick happened on a long time 50 mile last mile thought I was going to pass out. Car drove fine. After that day 6 MPG boost with a small amount Gas. Ever day got better. Hard to spin (that's ends up being normal) replaced it anyway. Every test I ran on the batteries all voltages were normal and the same in car and out
    I noticed there was a battery leak so I pulled all the batteries put them on paper then charge them and replace the ones that leaked I've already changed the order not seeing the stain on the metal 1539574147168.jpeg 1539574007301.jpeg 1539576189288.jpeg