1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chasing better MPG, 2nd phase

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by George W, Sep 6, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! all the best.(y)

Mendel Leisk, DLC82SV and George W like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update... Now that you're up to 44mpg you're basically in range of a normally functional Prius, but a bit low which can be boosted way higher with ditching the cheap tires and learning about pulse and glide driving habit and you'll be up near 50mpg when the weather is warm.

Though I'm a bit confused why you'd have to spend $400 on "cheap" tires and are budgeting $800 for better tires. Whoever is selling you tires must be a con-artists or crook... I was able to buy a set of 4 ecopia ep422 tires, which are the highest rated Low Rolling Resitance / Low MPG tires (second only to Michelin LRR tires) online from simpletire.com with free shipping in the $70 each range or less than $300 total and I found a local shop that if I bring in the wheel and new tire separate from the car they'll mount and balance for $20 cash. So if I were you, I'd raise hell with whoever sold you cheap crappy tires and get your money back or some other type of compensation. And while my tire prices may be extremely low compared to most, your tire prices are insanely high to the point of not making any sense.

DLC82SV likes this.
  3. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 'cheap' tires were the least expensive 'OEM' tires I could get from my local Discount Tire store. $80 each, then add 20 per wheel for mounting, balancing, dealing with the tpms, and full road-hazard warranty. A pair of Michelin EnergySavers is $204 each at my local Sams Club.

FYI, the tire you mention from simpletire, for my 08Touring, are $137 each. The Michelin Energy Savers are $194 ea. Not much different from Sam's Club where I don't have to do the leg work myself, find a competent tire shop, and NOT have a replacement warranty. I've never purchased tires off of the internet, so I do have concerns about cyber merchants I've never heard of. Some folks may not think much of Discount Tire, but their price was lower than the same brand at NTB. I got what I could find because the Seller's tires were almost bald, they wouldn't have passed inspection.

How has your driving experience improved with these tires? How much better mpg have you seen with them? Thanks.

As far as P&G techniques, I'm still learning how to 'feather' the pedal, but it's slowly becoming a habit.

#43 George W, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    DLC82SV likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... Glad I don't own a touring version, the increase cost for larger wheels size is significant.... And yes, I was a bit wary of buying tires online the first time, but I can't imagine doing it any other way from now on. As for driving experience, the first couple hundred miles on LRR tires causes terrible gas mileage. But after they settle in and seem great, way better traction than OEM tires. But I'd barely know, I'm almost always in the far right lane driving slow. Reduced speed is the single greatest thing you can do to avoid accidents. The slower your speed, the more time you have to avoid a collision. Quick reflexes are essential too!

DLC82SV and George W like this.
  5. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I just picked up 4 brand new Michelin green x ice tires for under $400... Someone is getting ripped off!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.