1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chasing Camry: Chevy asks dealers to put a Camry in the showroom to sell Malibus

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, May 16, 2007.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]443459[/snapback]</div>
    Nissan is not alone with the quality problems. Toyota has had many problems with th enew Camry and the Avalon has a terrible reputation within the industry. Look at all the Prius problems on here, if a Chevy was giving people all those problems the people would be livid. i think expectations and perceptions are a big factor and those will take longer to change.

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]443465[/snapback]</div>
    Well this is the first Toyota I've ever driven 5 miles on it when I drove off the lot. So the jury is still out on it but 5000 miles down and no disappointments whatsoever.

My dad is a Chevy / GM guy and used to swear buy their trucks. The 10 years that he owned his S-10 he made excuses that the problems were unique to his truck and he just got one of the rare ones where things would quit working. He has had his Silverado now for 5 years and funny how the more things change the more they stay the same, every couple months its something else. So it is was still somewhat surprising that a guy who is 55 years old all of a sudden decides to buy a car for daily driving economy and drive the truck less and decides to go with Ford for the first time in his life. What does that tell you about GM. Do you realize how hard it is to change the opinions of a 55 year old.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]443465[/snapback]</div>
    What Prius problems? I haven't had a single problem in 2 1/2 years with our Prius. And the many other Prius owners I've known have not had any either. Where does this come from? Our Prius is the first car i've bought from a foreign manufacturer. I grew up in a Pontiac family and most of them had many electrical problems, though a solid engine. Ford's seem to have common suspension problems. My Jeep's been pretty good, except for some tranny issues, which I've found out is common in Jeeps. I had a Celebrity which ran good, except for a dashboard that shook violently over 70 MPH.

But, you're right that Chevy does get overly scrutinized. I think that's due to American consumers feeling betrayed by their lack of foresight due to the profits NOW mentality. Also, this IS a Prius website after all, so what do you expect to find here?

I want to support Chevy, they'd be my second choice over a Toyota, but untill I get to test drive a volt or they have a model that comes even close to the Prius, it aint gonna happen.

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 16 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]443485[/snapback]</div>
    There are many threads on here about a stalling problem which resulted in a recall.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]443206[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]443260[/snapback]</div>
    So how come Toyota is now #1? Never mind, that's rhetorical.

Malorn, I really respect you for being being gutsy enough to stand up for your brand amongst this mostly hostile crowd. But I don't see how anyone who's not also a GM apologist can take you seriously with statements like this.

6. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just remember GM sweats the recalls. I don't know what Malorn is talking about I have never been stranded in my Prius or anyone of my other Japanese designed cars. But I can tell long stories about my VW, Ford Mustang, Chevy Vega, Chevy Impala, that would make your hair stand on end.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When GM is confident enough to have dealers place a four-year old Camry next to a four-year old Malibu (or whatever GM was selling as its mid size FWD sedan at the time)...to compare what the cars each cost new...how much the repair costs have been over the last 48 months...how they've held up under daily service...and what's left of the each car's value...and the Malibu stacks up favorably against the Camry...well, that's when I might --just might-- consider a new GM product.

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 16 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]443558[/snapback]</div>
    They are confident enough right now. Do you think GM put the 100,000 mile warranty on to spend alot of money? NADA keeps track of warranty expense and GM is in many cases today less per unit retailed than almighty Toyota. i am sure none of you will believe that though.

9. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]443571[/snapback]</div>
    I knew of the 100,000 mile warranty for the powertrain (engine, transmission) and like I said previously the engines are great its all the other stuff that goes bad, and even with the new warranty you are only covered bumper to bumper for 36000.
    And also coincidentally Kia and Hyundai have 100,000 mile warranties and nobody says they are the quality leader either.

http://www.chevrolet.com/malibu/warranty/

10. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 16 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]443504[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota is not # 1 yet. They were number one for one quarter.

Make no mistake about it GM, Ford etal have made some monumental bad decisions over the last 30 years. Toyota has made many great decisions over those same years.

GM especially has made unbelievable strides over the last 5 years and especially over the last 18 months. there are many products in the GM portfolio that rock their segments. I will take awhile but GM is genuinely excited right now, they have been waiting fo ran opening from Toyota and the opening is here. The Scion project is failing the new Tundra looks like it is a bomb, and Toyota is stretched very thin and vulnerable in many ways including quality. They have a couple of halo vehicles which get great mileage but GM beats them in most other segments. I wish I could feel the same about Chrysler and ford right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]443587[/snapback]</div>
    GM allows us to warranty vehicles to much higher mileages in a complete way. I can tell you that GM warranty dollars spent per vehicle retailed is less than half of what it was in 2001.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]443591[/snapback]</div>
    So you represent GM in some capacity- what is it you do- dealer, service representative, management, etc.?
    Why does GM bother having someone troll on a Prius owner's forum, insulting the people who choose to own the vehicles, and dissing Toyota's products? Do you think that you are going to convert Prius owners? Or do you just do it for fun? I highly doubt that Toyota has people trolling on the GM owners forums, dissing GM products and extolling the virtues of Toyotas.

12. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]443591[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad. We don't think any less of you!

13. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 16 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]443608[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a dealer and I would hardly consider someone who has participated as much as I have a troll. ANd to answer your question ALL manufactures have trolls in these forums, Toyota originated it and I have been told has whole departments to "spread" the word. They have also used the "mainstream" press beautifully all these years and the big three especially have been woefully slow to respond. It is easy to tell which articles originated form a Toyota press release.

14. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    where else are you going to get 381 horsepower in a standard duty truck. The Tundra is a beast if you need a truck. And not to mention if you want to be like everyone else you can buy that F150 or the silverado but they are a dime a dozen.

where else are you going to get 381 horsepower in a standard duty truck. The Tundra is a beast if you need a truck. And not to mention if you want to be like everyone else you can buy that F150 or the silverado but they are a dime a dozen.

15. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]443624[/snapback]</div>
    I guess the market will tell us won't it! ;) Remember they forecast 200,000 Tundras a year which has continually reduced from an initial 300,000. Swing and a miss! Three Tundra strikes and it is an out for Toyota in the full-size truck market. ;)

16. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]443619[/snapback]</div>
    That is where we differ.

17. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ May 16 2007, 04:00 PM) [snapback]443619[/snapback]</div>
    Next he is going to blame the homeless and unemployment on Toyota, even though the majority of the vehicles they sell here in North America along with Honda are built in the USA.

18. mpgFanatic

mpgFanatic New Member

Nice to meet you. I am Albert Einstein.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a Chevy insider, what can you tell us about the Volt we are so anxiously awaiting?
    Why do we get the BS about the batteries are not ready yet?
    They could put out a base model with just a 50 mile range and it would sell. The batteries should be plug and play, so who cares what the initial range is.

If we're so closely monitored here, why is there still no competition to the Prius?
    It should be easily evident that it appeals to the whole spectrum of Americans, not just the hippy fringe.
    Nope, we still get constant lies, myths, and obfuscation out of the big 3 AS WELL as the media you claim is helping Toyota become top dog.

20. bmwquickspeed

bmwquickspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How can anyone take GM seriously after the EV1?

Watch "Who Killed the Electric Car" I think this documentary shows GM's True colors.

They finally have a car that people want and what do they do? Rip them out of their faithful owners garages.