1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chasing Down A P3140

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TwoPriusInTenn, Mar 8, 2021.

1. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Greetings,

Installed a rebuilt HV battery in my daughter's 2002. After the installation it displayed the Triangle of Death. Ran the codes on Tech Stream which displayed P3140.

Any idea what this could be? This code was there prior to installing the new battery.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The safety interlock circuit is open. Usual culprit is the orange service safety plug that gets pulled out of the battery. Not only does it have to be put back, its handle has to be fully folded down and pushed lengthwise, to close the interlock switch.

mroberds, SFO and WHCSC like this.
  3. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a P3140, even with the service plug installed correctly. After a little fooling around, I figured out that the contacts on the microswitch that detects when the service plug is "in" got crudded up. Blowing into the switch fixed it. :D

You can take the switch off without pulling the whole traction battery out of the car, as long as you have a real short Phillips screwdriver. I used a 1/4" hex bit on its own as a tiny screwdriver.

The microswitch has a short 2-wire harness that goes into a connector on the outside of the traction battery. If that harness or connector got beat up, you might also get P3140. You don't have to take the battery out to see this; just open the trunk, take off the fuzzy lining if needed, and look.

You can also get P3140 if you have been fooling around with where the MG1 and MG2 wires bolt to the inverter, under the hood. If all you did was a traction battery swap, though, you wouldn't have touched those connections at all.