1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chassis Brace is a Prius MUST HAVE!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Azipod, Oct 11, 2010.

1. roverguy78

roverguy78 Elite Lurking Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just installed the brace. Install was very easy (even while my back is on the fritz). Took me about 15 minutes (including the time it took to round up the tools). I did not raise the car. I was easily able to reach the bolts from each side. Once removed, I slid a box lid that was about 3 & 1/2 inches high under the car with the new brace on the box, then just secured it from each side.

I did not have access to a torque wrench, so I just tried to tighten them up to match how tight the old bolts felt, which was not overly tight. You definitely don't want to overdo it. Snug and then about 1/4 turn more seems about all you'd want to do.

1 person likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool! So how does it drive? Did you need to use a torque wrench?

3. roverguy78

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't had a chance to drive it post-install just yet. Will post back here when I have. I did not use a torque wrench. I just hand tightened them. I also put some thread locking compound on the bolts.

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I picked one up too. With all my other projects on the car, I haven't had time to put it in, but I too will advise as best I can what the difference is.

5. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thumbs up guys!!

6. Supreme

Supreme Hypebeast

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ordered one today, crazy to pass up at that price.

7. naid

naid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up, just ordered 2.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I see your order naid. It's hilarious how this guy is getting so many sales all of the sudden.

Couple more things I'm waiting on before I buy. I'm this | | close:

- The promised reviews by those who recently purchased.
    - What company or brand stiffening plate is this? ..."G7 CNC"... Who is that? I Googled it and came up empty.

9. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, everyone please post your thoughts after the install.... good or bad.

The G7 brace is a "generic" brace, presumbly made the eBay seller. I'm pretty sure it's a copy-cat of the original one from Juiced Hybrid or BT. Either way, I can't have myself pay $160+ for something that I can get for $37. I'm not sure how much the quality can improve but the one from G7 seems to be real high quality and the finish is beautiful!

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I tried asking the eBay seller about the brace but came up pretty empty handed. The seller didn't have very good English and it appears the brace's origin is obscure as Jesus Christ's, lol. The seller says "G7" is just a name. "CNC" stands for Computer Numerical Control, some kind of manufacturing jargon. If he had to market this product it would cost him more than $39.99. Still so many things remain unanswered...

Where does this product come from? Does he make it? How come the seller only has a brace for the Prius?

Pardon my neuroticism, but I like to know a little bit about the things I buy.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control]Numerical control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

12. roverguy78

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drove for about 40 miles and didn't really notice any difference. That being said, I personally think it may only be noticeable at higher speeds in the wind. My trip was cut short by a 2 inch long nail that ruined one of my new hydroedges (stuck in the outside corner of the tread).

I also wonder about the origins of the G7 brace, but for the price I really don't care so much.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an FYI. Talked to the seller more, got some good info.

1. He used to work as a CNC machinist. The plate is made at his Machine Shop.
    2. He's the owner of a 2007 Prius and wanted to improve its stability.

Azipod, are you sure you're not the seller? LOL...

14. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine arrived midweek and upon tearing open the package my first impression was "wow, simple bit of CNC work here". You can still see the marks from the cutting head and all, not an overly refined job but why would it need to be? Gonna be under car covered in crud anyway.
    But even before it arrived I'd started to have buyer's remorse, thinking it was too much of an impulse purchase and probably won't make any difference in how the car feels. Classic case of seeing a product that solves a problem I don't have. But I'm a sucker for a cheap and easy mod, tinkering for the sake of tinkering.
    So without any expectations I put it on today after work. Some notes from this experience:

• I feel like it's smart to park on level ground, my garage was perfect for me.
    • 12mm socket to remove the bolts on the factory brace, they're not very tight, easy to remove just sticking your arm out while lying on the floor next to your car.
    • 6mm hex (allen) to install the bolts that come with the new brace. I have a fairly long one from my cycling tools (Park). Made it easy to apply enough pressure. Don't really need much.
    • As you can see in the pictures, holding the brace up near the frame with something helps start the bolts easier.
    So after it was on I took it for a short spin. Then went longer as I realized I needed gas anyway. Just backing out of my driveway felt different. As I back down and turn out of my driveway there is a lot of side to side rocking which helped highlight the difference.
    "Less plush" could describe it just as easily as "more responsive" - that's always the challenge I guess. On the road and freeway it did feel more solid, tied together, whatever. Lane changes at 65-70mph felt more crisp. I'd never had any complaint about handling with the Prius but I think I like this cheap and easy mod.

- D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great review. I'll order it soon. It seems that the stability comes from the much larger width. I bet if the brace spanned the entire chassis, you'd have amazing handling.

One of my personal concerns is that this mod will make me think I have a performance car and we all know what kind of problems can come from that...

16. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Heh, yeah it is kind of funny to sportify the Prius. I'm sure my driving will remain just as sedate as ever.

- D

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don, your post inspired me to try a mock install just now, haha. The bolts are very reachable with my 12mm socket wrench and 6mm allen. I have several small cardboard boxes and shoe boxes in my garage that I think I'll use to prop up the new brace.

One thing I did notice is that the bolts on the stock brace are extremely tight. I was supine next to my car with my right arm extended. On one of the bolts, I used all my force and barely loosened it. I positioned myself to have enough leverage on the wrench that my head ended up next to the rear wheel. Though I didnt want to loosen it fully yet for obvious reasons, I could tell that might be a chore....

18. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only hint of trouble I had with the 12mm factory bolts was that they were a bit fouled with undercoating, had to push pretty hard to fully engage the bolt head with the socket.

- D

19. Azipod

Azipod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm speaking for myself but I don't see why any of this matters. If he told you it's from Jack or Jill, what difference does it make? Where ever it comes from and why he only has it for the Prius is anyone's guess. The piece of metal is $39.99!

If it DOES matter, then you have a $165 option --- that's the one from BT Tech. It claims to be designed to stiffen the chassis of the Prius and provide better handing, the plate is fully CNC designed and milled using 6061-T6 and has a black anodized finish.

There you have it... :)

So which one would it be? $39 or the $165 option?

20. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just installed the brace 2 days ago...it took much more than 15 minutes; maybe because I'm very deliberate. Anyway, I had no trouble installing it.

I noticed an immediate difference backing out of the driveway, as well as going over speed bumps in a parking lot.It seemed like the car didn't wobble as much. I intentionally pushed it driving on a couple of sharp turns. It is much better than before in that regard. I just drove 200 miles on the 70 mph highway in very windy conditions. I occasionally felt the wind gusts, but it didn't seem to affect the tracking of the car like it did before. This mod plus my new tires has made the car much more secure feeling on the highway, for which I'm grateful. Now I'm wondering if I want to get the strut tower brace at some point, however at this point I can't justify the expense until I have another birthday. The chassis brace, though, at this price was definitely worth it!

Chuck