1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chassis Plate and Strut Tower Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 8404HMC, Jan 30, 2016.

1. 8404HMC

8404HMC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello all!
    Noobie here; although I have been on the site for a while and getting a great education!! Thanks to all!!
    I am on my 3rd Prius, a 2009, I need to replace my 4 struts and had the crazy thought that while I am doing this I why don't I put on a chassis stiffening plate on and a front strut tower bar.
    My issue... I can find the Tanabe TTB151F Sustec Front Tower Bar, but I can't seem to find the chassis stiffening plate, specifically the BT Tech. Any one have any ideas where I can find this plate or a damn good substitute that you all trust.
    I am going to use KYB Struts all around... Any new thoughts on or about Eibach vs TRD springs? Can i do this the KYB?
    By the way any other thoughts on these two mods would be great!!

#1 8404HMC, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    a set of better sway bars will give you more handling improvement than the strut brace and chassis plate. I do think the strut tower brace does help, but the stiffer sway bars made a tremendous difference in body roll, and it feels like the car squats a bit when you throw it into a hard turn.

I don't know anything about the springs; if anyone can find better than oem rear springs, I'd sure like to know where to get em. I'm thinkin I'm due for a set of rear struts...

3. 8404HMC

8404HMC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    69shovlhed, appreciate the info :)... What's your suggestion for the sway bars? When the cars up would love to add these in!!
    Reading through a lot of the past threads I feel like a late comer to these upgrades:(. After 180K I think its time!! ;)
    Thanks again!

#3 8404HMC, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    most folks get the progress rear bar for corolla/matrix from TH motorsports, and a stock front bar from 2003-08 corolla/matrix from a junk yard. if you do the junkyard front bar, make sure to get the frame bushings with the bar.

5. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TRD Sway Bar Set at Sparks Toyota Scion - Toyota Racing Development Parts

Would this set work for my 08? I'm sure they will, but I don't have a junkyard close by (closest one is an hour away)

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    looks like those bars are more show than go. it says "Constructed of mild steel, the Sway Bars are lightweight and feature seamless tubing powder-coated in TRD red."

quality bars are solid spring steel, there are some hollow bars that are good, but they're not made of mild steel.

get the oem corolla/matrix bar, and spray it with epoxy paint.

7. Acidbass32

Acidbass32 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just found OEM rear and front off Bosch Toyota's parts site. hopefully I will have them by next week

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three