1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap HV battery replacement -how possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe-Prius, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Joe-Prius

Joe-Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our Prius battery went out a few weeks ago, and after researching all options my wife pulled the trigger on an independent to do the swap for a rock-bottom deal of $660 (guy was listed on Yelp, 5-stars, etc).

Her math was based on our car having over 230k miles and wanting to put as little into that high-priced repair fearing that a different repair could be around the corner.

Learned after the fact that he only offered a 3 month warranty. I'm understandably anxious now, worried of the quality of the replacement.

Questions are:

- How can these independents do these battery repairs so inexpensively?
    - What's the best way to test the quality of the replacement?

Thanks!

Joe

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    By having plenty of willing victims, and or generally not fulfilling the customer sold warranty after the fact. They get your virgin pack with one or more modules that have failed, and give you a frankenpack of used hodge-podge modules back in exchange.
    That is a bit tricky, as there are many internal and external variables involved. The best way would be far too time consuming, and require extensive/expensive hardware. The easiest way would try an app like Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus or "Hybrid Assistant" (with the separate Reporter app), though I'm not sure how accurate either app actually is.

Did the person who serviced your vehicle at least clean the HV battery fan for you?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rebuilt are hit or mis. if this one doesn't survive, and you still want to keep the car, your best bet is 'newpriusbatteries'

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it worth it to you to replace the battery every 4 months at $660 a crack?
    That's about $1900 a year.

Or would you rather take that $1900 and put it towards a different vehicle?

It is impossible for a Used battery to last as long as a New one. A Used battery is definitely will not the same quality as a Used one.

You get what you pay for.

Edit: Nevermind. I missed that you already bought the Used one. Well basically start putting money aside. You will need it for your upcoming hybrid battery purchase when the one you have fails. Or you can put that money towards a different car.
    Think long and hard now, about what you are going to do when the current battery fails. Better to have a plan ahead of time than trying to make a plan in the middle of crisis mode.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Joe. I see it as a wise decision your wife made if you just wanted to get it running so you could trade it in. The dealer would then sell it to an auction house and it would hopefully be used for parts. If you keep it, you'll soon be facing the same problem again with the frankenpack (great term, @SFO). And I could not bring myself to foist that battery onto an unsuspecting buyer.

donbright likes this.
  6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's what I see happening with this kind of car lately when owner chooses not to properly fix it..
    Owner trades it in
    - car is sold to an auction house.
    -The battery fails while waiting to be sold
    - A small unscrupulous dealership buys it and swaps out one of the bad modules.
    - the car is to an unuspecting buyer
    - the battery fails shortly after is purchased
    - the cycle repeats.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Imagine the next customer of that repairer getting Joe's battery with 230K miles including one replacement battery module that came out of someone else's battery. That should last just around 3 months.

fotomoto and edthefox5 like this.
  8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see this happen all too often and it is heartbreaking.
    A single parent barely making ends meet who aspires to a Prius for good gas mileage.
    Small dealership sells them a car at full retail that the dealership know has swapped modules that will be failing soon.
    They don't care and just want to make a quick sale.
    Then in a couple of months the battery dies and the buyer ends up with a very expensive lawn ornament.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but this guy is 5 stars on yelp. doesn't get much better than that, are there 6 stars?

fotomoto and donbright like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get yourself a copy of tech stream and run the battery health check

11. James Baker

James Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Eric do you have any suggestions as to where I can buy some decent modules? I need 7.

JAB

12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can help you with that.
    I'll send you a message.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    After ALL of the sad stories about repeated failures when only the "bad" modules are changed........
    Are you sure you want to go down that road ??

14. James Baker

James Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I picked this car up for $200 and have just been tinkering with it. I drive 2 miles to work each way and if I could get this up and running again that would be awesome. If not then I have gained a wealth of knowledge. I am also doing the balancing on my cells to try and add to whatever life they may have.

JAB

donbright and bisco like this.
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to say really nothing was "After the Fact".
    Because the first thing that should of indicated concern about the quality and durability of the replacement was the $660 cost.
    If your priority is "putting as little into that high priced repair" as possible, then the tried and true cliche is you get what you pay for.

How these independent offer "cheap" replacement?
    Well...there's no magic trick. A new Hybrid Battery costs what a new Hybrid Battery costs. Refurbished or rebuilt, is a subjective term. You could ask this independent exactly what he did, or the history of his replacement battery. But if he's doing the whole thing for $660, it isn't anything close to a new Hybrid Battery, I can't imagine it's anything but a used replacement, with maybe some replaced cells.

I wouldn't even bother trying to test for quality. IMO a $660 randomly refurbished Hybrid Battery, and you're on borrowed time, right out of the gate.
    If it's working? I'd just drive it.
    Who knows? Hopefully you'll get at least that 3 months. And/or hopefully if it fails before then, you'll get warranty support. If it outlasts that 3 months, ---well go as long as you can.
    But if you wanted peace of mind, then you needed and will need to make a much bigger investment into a new hybrid battery.

14 year old Prius with 230K on it, whether you want to make that investment is an aspect you need to evaluate.

Your best hope, is just that it works.
    You've invested $660, if you can get a year? It's arguably worth it. But that level of investment IMO really doesn't come with a guarantee, much of a warranty, or any applicable peace of mind concerning the issue.

#15 The Electric Me, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  16. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Down the rabbit hole with frankenpack's monster! Who could pass that up?

17. James Baker

James Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are extensive write ups on here about people reconditioning their packs on their own and replacing and balancing modules. Are you saying that I am not doing this the correct way?

Interested in your replies...

JAB

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we don't know how you're doing it. but if you are doing it correctly, you can certainly add life to the pack.

James Baker likes this.
  19. James Baker

James Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Doing my best to follow all of the advice from the old timers.

Cheers

bisco likes this.
  20. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please use the quote feature here to indicate WHO and what you are replying to.

Physics and chemistry dictates that once the chemicals that make the battery are used up......converted to inert compounds.....there is NOTHING you can do to reverse that process.......regardless of what the makers of fancy chargers want you to believe.

The techniques you are seeing results in a slight, short term improvement that varies by situation.
    For instance, if a single cell has a very high resistance over a long period of time, the other cells will never fully charge.
    When you replace that bad cell, you need to bring those other cells back up to a full charge to have a good starting point.

When you do that, it LOOKS like you have rejuvenated the cells when in fact you have only brought them back up to a full charge.
    They are still old cells......and the older they are the sooner that they will fail too.

When doing research on a subject like this, you need to develop some skill in throwing out results that are scientifically invalid and look for information that does NOT come from companies that stand to make money selling you stuff (fancy chargers in this case) or from "self appointed" experts who have drawn a conclusion based only on one (or a few) short term results.

2k1Toaster likes this.