1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap LED license plate bulbs from ebay does the trick

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Grren4ever, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hello folks,

I'm sure there have been a dozen threads on the purchase and install of good or bad license plate bulbs from various internet vendors. Today I installed my LED license plate bulbs that I purchased for only $6 off ebay. I was weary of previous threads warning about blu-ish bulbs - and since the cops here will bust you for almost anything they can, I was very cautious.

Took my chances from this ebay seller claiming to sell "HID white bulbs." Seller was very fast in shipping and communicated well:

2 x LED 5 SMD 168 194 2825 HID White Bulbs for License Plate Lights | eBay

And on with the pictures of install:

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Not a bad light output, I'd say that it is very similar to florescent tube's (cool white) color. Perhaps 5000K. The output is good enough to turn heads but not good enough to for law enforcement to give you trouble. Best $6 I ever spent of the Prius :)

2. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Give it a few weeks, they will start changing colors then it will start blinking, some of the SMD will burn out and eventually your down to one light or non at all, i had some of these cheap led's, the design flaw is that there is no heat diffuses, 1 SMD puts a good amount of heat now you have 5 in one small place it generates enough heat to damage the circuit board on it, that's what happened to mine. If you want one that last for 5+ years get phillips, they're expansive but worth every penny.

Philips push pin design there's 1 SMD and a heat skin (the metal around it is the heat diffuse)
    [​IMG]

Phillips festoon style bulb you can see 1 SMD and a heat skin on the back
    [​IMG]