1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cheap OBD scanner ruined my computer? Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by thphsu, Dec 19, 2022.

1. thphsu

thphsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just plugged in a Bluetooth obd scanner I purchased off Amazon. Seems to have totally screwed up my computer. Tried disconnecting aux battery for a while but it did not help. Seems I'm totally screwed. Can anyone help me? 2010 Prius II.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Why are you screwed are there some pictures we need to see if your dash now that this has happened. When you plugged in the scanner from Amazon into the OBD2 port below your leg there above your leg rather what happens now how do you know something screwed up Is there a bunch of lights flickering Is there a digital light show? How do you know or think the whole system is screwed up? And now that it's been almost 8 or 10 hours does it still do the same thing?

2010moneypit? likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, a picture of whatever the dash is doing would help.

In my own experience, plugging something ill-behaved into the diag port might lead to a bunch of communication errors (reported as Uxxxx codes), but the errors stop when you've unplugged the offending gadget, and even if you don't clear the resulting codes, they may go away on their own after a few power cycles with no errors.

4. thphsu

thphsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is more serious. Not resolved by unplugging device. I added a vid to the original post.

5. thphsu

thphsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know that the whole system is screwed but I suspect it is. New vid attached to original post.

6. thphsu

thphsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The message on the display is hard to read from the video. It says:

"P lock
    malfunction when parking,
    park in flat place and
    apply parking brake securely"

Applying the parking brake is of no help. (The other message "oil maintenance required" was displayed before the OBD incident. I haven't reset it after recent oil changes. This is not an issue. I've used other OBDs with any major problems.)

#6 thphsu, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did it clear .?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    eh......disconnect 12v battery for 5 minutes.
    Verify it's good if you have a battery tester or charge it up if needed..
    Reconnect it, put your foot on brake pedal and press power button. Keep foot on brake, wait 10 seconds and press power button again.

TGrracie and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  9. thphsu

thphsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tip. Did not work though.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see any attachment to post #1.

In my experience, the bad comm traffic ceased when the gadget creating it was removed, but the resulting comm error codes were a different story, and didn't vanish immediately.

At any rate, if you've still got errors being reported, it'll become necessary to find out what codes they are. At the risk of re-traumatizing you, the way to read those is ... by plugging in a (working!) OBD scanner.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  11. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the dreaded p-lock malfunction. This is actually common for people with weak 12v battery. My guess is when you used your OBD with the car on, it drained your bad-battery even more. Hence why you’re experiencing the p-lock.

12. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did the e-brake neutral trick to get it to start when this happened to me. I got it from this thread P LOCK MALFUNCTION WHILE PARKING | PriusChat

Try the steps in the thread and see if it works for you. I’ve also seen other people pump their brakes multiple times til the actuator comes on. Some had a bad fuse. But the most common is an old-weak 12v battery. Good luck.