1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheap Prius tires: Ohtsu FP0612 A/S

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mmmodem, Dec 12, 2015.

1. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A little over 3 years and 85,000 miles, it was finally time to replace the tires on my rapidly aging PiP. I was hoping to make 100,000 miles on the OEM EP20 but the tires were balding unevenly on the inside tread of all 4 tires. I may have negative camber, I've never performed an alignment. If it was summer, I'd keep going but now that it is wet outside, I'm not going to take the risk.

I drive a lot so I always buy the cheapest tires and replace them quickly with lots of miles. F8L has a few posts here that convinced me more expensive tires that last longer will save money over cheapo tires. Well, you know what route I took since you clicked on the thread title. I wanted a set of EP422 plus but everyone must've been replacing their tires before rainy season or something because they were sold out. There's plenty now, though. I had a 1000 mile roundtrip to San Diego coming up so I couldn't wait. I decided to go with Ohtsu. I had always purchased Barum Bravuris at Discount Tires for my Civic and Corolla. But they had Ohtsu for $20 cheaper per tire. http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=0&rcz=95035&ar=65&rf=true&rd=15&rc=CSBINT&cs=195&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchTiresByVehicleAndSize.do&fl=&tc=OHTHH2&yr=2012&pc=31098&vid=021415

4 tires at $316 (installation, taxes, & TPMS rebuild) and over 2000 miles later, I am ready to review them. It's hard to compare mpg when there is EV involved. I got 45 mpg going to San Diego and back averaging some 80+ mph. This is in line with what I achieved with the OEM EP20. Yesterday, I got 49 mpg to work the other day after I dropped off the kids at daycare and ran out of EV. This was a 17 mile trip going up and down a 1000 ft elevation at highway speeds.

There is a noticeable drop in mpg somewhere between 2-5 mpg. There is also a commensurate step up in handling stability and a decrease in noise and vibration. Obviously wet handling has improved not because the EP20 were poor but because mine were bald. Are the Ohtsu better for handling than the EP20?... maybe, without back to back comparison, I can't say for sure. Ride quality and vibration definitely improved, though. The Prius is a little nicer place to be in and to drive. It's smoother and quieter than when brand new. My calculations show anything over 2 mpg and I would've saved more money buying the more expensive LRR tire.

Overall, I am satisfied with the tires. Would I purchase again? Sure, if the EP422 plus were out of stock again. I like to try new things.

Tracksyde likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I was shopping for 195/65R15 I'd pick EP20 over EP422, for a few reasons. The tread pattern in that size of EP422 varies: some buyers get a 4 row, closely space pattern, while others get 3 rows and big gaps. Also, RR reports are mixed. EP20 are a known quantity, only come in that size. And they are available. I've found Costco will try to talk you over to EP422, but they can get EP20.

Regarding handling, I think some of the differences are due to new vs knackered: new tires almost always feel better, lol.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To each their own.
    But my operating philosophy is never to go too cheap with tires.

As tire manufacturers are likely to tell you, their tires are the exact thing that connects you, your vehicle, to the road itself.
    That makes them a high level safety issue IMO.

Therefore, while I don't use a "blank check" mentality, looking for good value is fine, I don't go looking for the cheapest replacements I can find. Tires are something I'd rather pay a little more for, and feel a little better about.

That being said, I'm probably less than 12 months away from going the Costco EP route.

4. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't buy the logic that cheaper is inherently more dangerous than expensive. Or vice versa, more expensive automatically means safer. That's like saying all Lexus are safer than Toyota. Or anyone driving a Prius C is risking their lives, they should drive a more expensive Prius V for safety.

Cheaper tires may not perform as well as more expensive tires. That's it. Performance is not my aim otherwise, I wouldn't be driving a Prius. Since I drive a lot, my preference for a tire is lower NVH (noise, harshness, and vibration). I had written off all LRR tires after driving and sitting in a few Gen 2 Prius. The EP20 on my Gen 3 was starting to change my mind that there are advancements in this area but like I said, handling on my ~$100 EP20 tire when new was about as good as my $50 tire but I need back to back comparison to substantiate that claim.

I used to be a medical courier driving upwards of 300 miles a day. I bought cheap and expensive tires and in the end went with cheap because expensive lasted no longer than cheap. Touring tires were indeed quieter, but at 3x cheap crossed the value border. I could care less about performance in a straight line on the freeway in dry California and seldom rain.

P.S. I'm not talking about buying a no name brand tire with no certification. That, I agree is taking a risk.

Tracksyde likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh, but that's exactly why I'd say cheaper tires are not inherently as safe. What IS performance? The most basic answer to that is better grip, better handling. Perhaps better tread compound, longer lasting.

But in an emergency, fast stop, swerving to avoid,....we are suddenly asking our tires to "perform"...beyond the normal parameters. If the cheaper tires do not perform as well...that makes them NOT as safe.

Budget is a personal thing. Priority is also a personal choice.
    But if I can afford it? I'll spend more for tires rather than go looking for less.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  6. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lets just say we disagree. Performance is a combination of factors in different conditions and surfaces.

Let's compare LRR tires and Z rated performance tires. In an emergency the Z rated tires with better grip in the dry will be safer. What if it is wet? Then the LRR with better tread channels will grip better. Which is the safer tire?

Consider a cheap and expensive tire on a tight budget. One at double the cost and double the tread life. Cost is the same. I can have a brand new tire at each corner every 3 years or I can have really old tires 4-6. Which is safer?

Consider my choice of cheap quiet tires versus vibration happy LRR driving me nuts on my long commute and making me short tempered? Which tire is safer?

One thing I do agree with you, priority is a personal choice. A lower performance tire is less safe than a higher performance tire? No, that's like saying a Dodge Viper is safer than my Prius because performance is better.

Tracksyde likes this.
  7. BlzzPrl2010

BlzzPrl2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got 30k on my EP20s and they were already down around 6/32nds. Don't think I would have been able to go past 50k unless I ran them bald. They were decent tires but kinda expensive.

I just picked up a pair of OHTSU FP0612 for my nissan. It's the same exact tire as the Falken Ziex ZE612. I doubt they'll handle crappy, but I don't expect them to last long or grip well in snow and maybe even rain. Decent tires for the money but don't expect much. I've handled a few used OHTSU/Falken tires and all of them had cupping issues. Minor and major. Can't say for sure if it was due to low pressure but they were the only used ones I've noticed cupping on. I've handled a ton of tires too(most major brands except the chinese brands).

mmmodem likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After 30k (25k on OEM Dunlop) on my PRIME, I am starting to look for replacement tires. I am contemplating to try cheap tires this time around. I have tried more expensive name brand LRR tires for the last 6 or so sets on my various cars including HCH, Gen3, but I found those expensive brand LRR did not last as long as I wished for, and did not feel they were inherently safer or more comfortable. The question is the same as expensive brand tires. Which cheap tires should I go with this time??? Ohtsu sound intriguing, but I want to give a try on Riken (once a Japanese tire manufacture, but now a part of Michelin and made by then in Europe). Also, I have been thinking of Turkish made Waterfall tires.