1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cheapest long term and short term options for headlight replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vysse, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my headlights are going out and I am looking for the best/cheapest solution both long term and short term to replace my headlights.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you be a little more illustrative of what you mean when you say your headlights are going out?

Flickering? Short? Burned out Bulb?

The level of breakdown that would lead to needing your entire headlight (both) assemblies replaced would have to be pretty significant.

3. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh sorry. I meant the bulbs. So the orange one on the left side is out. The headlight one on the right side is going out but I can get it back when I turn the lights off and on again. I am probably going to replace all the lights if its cheap enough since it seems I will be spending hours taking apart my car to do this.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've always found headlights either worked, or quit, nothing in between. OTOH I'm not really up on headlight bulb types, how they fail.

Was the car in any accidents, just wondering if it's wiring or switch problems.

5. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it was somehow hidden in the carfax then no.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever noticed moisture or liquid IN your headlight assembly?

If not?
    Then you may just assume that your bulbs are burning out a natural death...and replace accordingly.

If you continue to have problems or premature failures...then investigation of more complicated reasons becomes necessary. But I would start with the easiest, and potentially the cheapest avenue first, which would be to simply replace the bulbs.

I would also replace in pairs.
    Conventional wisdom being if one has failed...the corresponding twin should be on a similar timeline.

7. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol I know the bulbs are burnt out of natural death... I was just seeing if maybe there were led replacements or something more long-term.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The LED's are a whole different system. Very expensive to replace, hopefully long lasting. We have them in our 2010, I looked in the owners manual: it describes regular headlight bulb DIY replacement, and for the LED's, simply says "take it to the dealership".

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you want LED's that's an entirely different horse race.

Conversion to LED's can be done. There are threads. It takes time, money and some skill. Or more money, if you want someone else to apply their skill.

If you aren't significantly unhappy, my recommendation would be just replace the bulbs.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Vysse

Vysse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just bought some regular bulbs. Based on what I have read my Prius should take 9003/HB2 H4 bulbs which I got however after taking it apart I have D4R bulbs installed it seems like. Is there a way to install what I have or do I need to return them and get a different set?