1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check ALL the caliper slide pins

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jerrymildred, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's my second time rotating tires on the PiP I got last December. It's an import from the northeast. Thought I'd better check the slide pins while I had all the wheels off since we have a big road trip coming up in a couple weeks. Good thing I did. I caught this on the bottom of the left rear caliper before it appears to have caused any uneven pad wear. It's the only one that looked less than perfect.
    IMG_6776 copy.jpg
    It had just a dab of yellow grease on the end. New part is special order and surprisingly expensive. Parts guy said they usually just clean them up and re-use. So here goes. I have a drill press and I have emory cloth and I'm not afraid to use them. Film at eleven. errr maybe a picture sometime later than right now. LOL!

potatoesLOL, danlatu, bisco and 2 others like this.
  2. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 my left rear caliper pin rusted last winter. I wasted a brand new set of brake pads because of it. But mine was only about 30% of the rust in that picture.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a cylindrical rubber piece at the tip, is it still there, salvageable? If it's gone I'd spring for the replacement pin.

Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant works fine. And be real careful with reassembly, get that spoke cross-pattern on the piston oriented like and "x", so the pad backing plate pin is in between spokes. Then tromp the brake pedal a number of times. Then reconnect the battery neg cable, take it for a drive, and only then apply parking brake, if you want.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How's the rubber boot, not ripped? Could be all the rust in the groove under the head just prevented it from sealing?

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Mendel Leisk and @Prodigyplace those prices look more like what I expected. It was going to be over $50 for the boot and the pin. I will be keeping that link, for sure!

The "X"s on the pistons didn't rotate, so they went into place fine. Rubber tips were all perfect. It cleaned up fairly well. It took a while to get the boot cleaned out. I used a pistol bore cleaning swab to make sure the receiver for the pin was clean. And LOTS of brake cleaner!! Once the pins were in, they slid freely. In fact, when I pushed them in, the boot pushed them part way back, so nice and slippery.

Brakes feel just fine. Did several hard stops. I have a longer drive tomorrow and should be able to have a better test run. I'll use up the EV range and do some stops in B mode to be sure but I'm not expecting anything unusual.

I was also a little surprised at what the car remembered after reconnecting the 12V (like six months of miles and economy) and what it forgot, like which months those were because it thought today was January 1, 2012. LOL!

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good!

I don't think my 2010 has a clue about the year? (n) Doesn't have that interactive screen.

I have memory saver device, but that would likely defeat the purpose during brakework. If you're logging miles, use odometer readings, they persist.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's pretty much what I check at each tire rotation. If they slide in and out and twist easily and feel greasy and not rough, and I don't notice any damage to the rubber boots, I call it good without actually pulling them out. So far they've been fine. It takes sliding them in and out a couple times to loosen the congealed grease back up.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know if it would work on a Gen3, but on my Gen2, I was able to turn the slide pin boots inside out for easier cleaning.

Maybe I don't understand something about PIPs, or did you mean N? I test the brakes by braking while in neutral, so that the friction brakes and only the friction brakes are used.

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought about trying something like that but came to the same conclusion. If I was just swapping out the battery, I'd probably rig up a battery from a UPS to keep the data.

That's what I do. You never know when you might have a twitch and hold a button a whisker too long. :eek:

That would be the surest way to get the flakes, but I didn't want to risk tearing the boot. It's pretty thick in relation to its diameter.

Duh!!! Face palm. Thanks for the gentle reminder, Fred. In my defense, I'm getting over a bad cold and not really firing on all cylinders yet. I was really pooped when I got done. I was quadruple checking all my work. :confused: I needed to get it done soon, though, because of the impending trip.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the boots are rubbery enough to flip inside out for cleaning ... that's how I do it (if I even bother taking them off).

Any boot that's gone non-rubbery enough to be hurt by flipping inside out is non-rubbery enough to replace.

My strategy with this car has just been to order one front and one rear caliper rebuild kit right away when I bought the car. Each kit has all of the rubber bits (plus a few of the miscellaneous metal bits) for two front or two rear calipers. So far I have not needed to open either kit, but if I ever find a rubber boot, etc., that wants changing, I've got it on hand. Then I could either go all out on a rebuild and use everything in the kit, or just reorder the bits I used a la carte.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a good strategy. I wasn't sure of the durability since it was my first encounter. That was the only boot I removed and it was a bit of a pain to get back in place properly. The others all looked nice and clean inside.

14. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well said.

At the last springtime brake inspection, I discovered a torn slide pin boot, and had no spare at hand. I cleaned it up a bit, greased, reassembled, ordered new boots and pins, and drove it a couple summer months before replacing. Even with a torn boot it was still in good working order for that short time. The boot is not absolutely vital to the functioning of the brakes, but it drastically increases the time between cleaning and relubeing.

So tearing a slide pin boot that has become inelastic is a minor problem. Just replace it soon.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I could tell, all the boots were fine. Not floppy and not brittle. Push in the pin and the boot pushes it back.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How did that go with your drill press, you mounted the pin like a drill? You were able to clean out the groove at boot pretty good?

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was still pitted, but cleaned OK. started with a fine toothed file and finished with a brass bristled brush.

18. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My front rotors were rusted out before they actually wore out. Amazing! Thanks. Now I am paranoid about my caliper pins and it's too cold outside to check.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same here. Now I do a moderate neutral braking from 100 to 30 km/h (about 60 to 20 mph) once per week and also every time it rains or snows, preferably shortly before parking. Or when in town, I ride the brakes for four or five seconds to get them warm and dry before parking.

In winter, when the roads are massively salted here, I occasionally check the brake rotor temperatures with an infrared thermometer, so I can catch a stuck or dragging pad before it gets too bad.

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some time ago, I got to tour a Coast Guard cutter visiting the island where I used to live. That was FUN!! But I noticed all kinds of rust on the small parts of the davit for their go fast boat. I asked how they fight the rust since that was such a big part of my job on our small island. The officer told me they don't fight it. They just keep replacing parts because it was a losing proposition to try to keep up with protecting all those little parts. I found perverse encouragement from that comment. :whistle:

Fred_H likes this.