1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check emgine light code p1118

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Earl3, May 17, 2009.

1. Earl3

Earl3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am new to the site. have a 2004 with 109,000 on it the check engine light on, stopped at advanced auto had the code scanned, came up with: P1118 manufacturer control fuel air metering. I found only one other thread on this that points to the hot coolant resovior temp sensor: P1118 (Toyota) Coolant temperature sensor circuit high for coolant heat storage system

Can anyone confirm this and maybe guide me to it? I was wondering if I can jump this sensor and the check engine light would go out?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P1118 means that you have a problem in the following areas: the coolant heat recovery sensor is open (resistance is more than 156K ohms), the wiring harness is bad, or the engine ECU is bad.

You cannot just jump the sensor as the engine ECU is smarter than that. The ECU expects to see varying sensor measurements over time as fluid moves into and out of the canister. I recommend that you find the sensor, use an ohmmeter to verify that it is bad, then replace it. If the sensor is not bad then maybe the wiring harness is bad (especially likely if the car had been in a front-end accident.)

The sensor is located at the output of the coolant heat recovery canister which is within the front left wheel well. You can find repair manual info here: techinfo.toyota.com

3. pdaddy1959

pdaddy1959 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

4. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just had the same code (p1118); I have a 2005 with 36,000 miles. A little over a year ago I hit a deer, right in the front left corner; the heat recovery canister, I believe, was replaced (by Toyota, but via the body shop); I'm wondering if I should bring it back to the dealer (who is inconvenient, horribly expensive, and unpleasant) that did the repair, or let my local shop do it. I'm going to assume the ECU isn't bad, and that it is either the sensor or the harness. Any thoughts?