1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine ((!)) and ABS Lights on in 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bamapse, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife made a short drive home today (2miles) from our friend's house after dinner and when we got home she said the check engine light was on. I hopped in it and the check engine light was on and there was a blinking ((!)), ABS, and Traction control lights as well. I hooked up the OBDII tool and it pulled a P0607 code. We have not noticed anything out of the normal driving the car. It sas 110,000 miles on it and has been taken care of immaculately since new. I changed the oil earlier today if thats of any help. I dealt with having to replace our battery on our 2006 prius last year and as far as the lights go, it was very similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's related to the Engine Control Module. I'd check the ECM fuse. Since the car is running normally, I bet its a false error. You might want to also remove power to permit the ECM to reset.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    P0607 is not that common to pop up. What scan tool did you use to pull the code?

You also mentioned that you changed the oil? Where is the oil level on the dip stick? Any other maintenance performed recently?

It was also raining here in NorCal yesterday. Worth checking for any water intrusion?

Keep us posted (y).

4. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will unhook the 12v batter today and see if it will reset the ECM. I used an Innova 3130 Scan tool to pull the codes. When I checked the oil before she drove to our friends house it was just above the center between the dots on the dipstick. We have been dealing with a lot of rain but I don't know where I'd even start to look for rain associated issues. Only other maintenance we've done is wiper blades. Could this be a 12v battery failure?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you channel your inner @bisco : yes it could be a 12v issue;).

Oil level sounds fine.

I would pop the hood and check around the fuse box and see if the lid is secure. Also look in the back around the 12v and see if anything had collected there or in the spare tire area.

Any accident history?

jerrymildred, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  6. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will take a look at all the fuses and will check around the 12v batter area as well. No accident history. I got the carfax and all dealer records when I bought it and seemed to have been taken care of quite well. Also, By ECM fuses I assume you mean ECU?

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That code (P0607) very well could be attributed to minimal 12v battery voltage. When battery voltage drops below 9v (approximate) the ECM will lose critical data and cause a number issues to pop up. Your battery may be borderline due to age, cable condition (corrosion) and/or charging system. I would check all of these.

8. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I pulled my battery and even after I left the cabin light on last night (n) It was reading 12.2V on my charger readout. I then did a load test and it came back good (At least on the battery load tester i've got). I also didn't see any water intrusion in the trunk area. Its still raining too hard to dive into the fuses since my garage is blocked off right now. Also, I am not seeing an "ECM" fuse on the fuse diagrams, only multiple ECU fuses. Are these what I should check in the way of fuses?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12.2 is low. charge it up and see what it holds at.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I charged my battery and put it back in. When I started the prius every light on the dash lit up (battery, check engine, brake, steering wheel with ! mark, ABS, ((!)) and Traction control. After about 20 seconds, i turned it off. I then powered it back on to take codes and the only lights that were lit up were Brake, ABS, ((!)), and traction control. I checked the battery with the car off and it was at 12.7v. I pulled codes and it read the same P0607 code and then 4 ABS codes (C1203, C1336, C1345, and C1392). I checked all suspect fuses and non were blown or showed signs of fault. What do I do next? Do I clear the ABS codes and drive it and see if they come back?

11. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be a good idea.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if you need tech stream?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The codes mean what they say they mean. The ones that say certain calibrations have been unlearned (acceleration sensor zero point, C1336; linear solenoid valve offset, C1345; stroke sensor zero point, C1392) will go away as soon as you conduct a re-learn of those items following the procedures in the Repair Manual. For some, if not all, of those, there's likely to be a non-Techstream way to trigger the re-learn using a jumper wire. Techstream, of course, makes it easy; you just go to the right utility and say learn that.

The P0607 and C1203 I would diagnose by looking up how the Repair Manual says to diagnose them, and then doing that.

-Chap

14. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a repair manual so I am stuck until I get one I guess.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    techinfo.toyota.com is theoretically available 24/7-ish, I think ... I have run into times when it seemed to be b0rked on a weekend and didn't get fixed until Monday, but I think that's (supposed to be) unusual.

-Chap

16. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I'll look thanks

17. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could I clear the codes and drive it to see if they return first?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure the codes indicating unlearned calibrations really can be "cleared" ... they'll just be around until until you initiate the calibration learning. But it's easy enough to find out.

-Chap

20. Bamapse

Bamapse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You were correct. I tried clearing them but only 1 of the ABS lights was able to be cleared but came back on after a 1 mile drive. At this point, the p0607 is still showing up and says its (permanent), then only 3 of the "ABS" codes are showing up and not 4 like before and I think they are (C1203, C1336, C1345). I did notice my brakes feeling odd and squishy in my 1.5 miles drive to check things out as well but not sure if this is because the codes have cut off the ABS system or what. I will look into the re-learning for those codes and try that in the monring. There is no longer a check engine light though. I just noticed that I can't figure out which manual the re-learning guides are in. I have looked in most of the manuals available in the free section and I can't find those relearn procedures. Am i doing something wrong?

#20 Bamapse, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017